Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy pool

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy pool

Hi My pool has been cloudy since the first day we opened it. I have a 18ft round, above ground. 7600 gallons of water. I have tried all the expensive chemicals from the pool store and nothing works. Came to your sight and have been using bleach, borax, and baking soday for a couple of weeks now. the pool was a white cloudy, then after using the BBB, you could almost see the bottom of the pool, the other day I went out and vaccumed and brushed the sides and now it is a light green. I have a cartridge filter. what am I doing wrong? I clean the filter every other day. Help Please!!!! I love using BBB because it has saved me so much money.
    I have an 18ft round above ground pool with a hayward easy-clear micro filter, 1 hp pump, hayward automatic feed chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cloudy pool

Hi, Welcome to TFP!

For us to be able to help you, you need to post your most recent set of numbers:

FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

sorry just had the wter tested yesterday.
    fac 5
    tac 5
    ph 7.6
    ta 180
    ch-225
    I have an 18ft round above ground pool with a hayward easy-clear micro filter, 1 hp pump, hayward automatic feed chlorinator.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the site. Glad you found it.

Do you know your CYA #

Have you done an overnight chlorine drop test?

It sounds like you need to shock but the overnite test will tell more.
    If you don't have a good test kit you should consider getting one. Barring that at least the 6-way kit from Wally-World would suffice.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

no they didn't do the cya test and I was using test strips but just ran out, I will be getting a better test kit. What is the overnight test you are talking about?

6. Back To Top    #6

i just printed off the instructions for the overnight test. Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

as you see, you need a fas-dpd chlorine test to do the overnight loss test. I highly recommend the kit from www.tftestkits.net as it is the best value and has all the tests you need.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

the pool place where we get the water tested told me to keep the solar cover on, I am going to leave it off the next couple of days. do you think that will help?

9. Back To Top    #9

if you need to shock (and you do) then keep it off. don't listen to anything the pool store says starting now. get a good test kit and read the chemistry section in pool-school/ as well as pool-school/defeating_algae and pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

ok I have to wait till payday to get a good test kit, in the mean time I have to shock the pool, how much bleach would that be? I started yesterday and added 3 gallons, left the solar cover off and have had the filter running all day and night so far, went out this morning and it is a lighter color, added 3 more gallons of bleach slowly, I am going to brush the sides and bottom and the ladder today. Thanks for the info so far.

11. Back To Top    #11

We cannot know how much until we know the CYA level.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ya_chart_shock

Testing at a pool store may or may not help, as some of them cannot do a test for above 5 or 10 ppm Free Chlorine.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

12. Back To Top    #12

my pool is no longer green its a milky color, you can see the third step of the ladder. Yeah. i am going to continue adding the bleach. I am so happy, You would not believe how frustrated I have been with these pool stores and How everyday you go in and they want you to buy this and that and all I needed was this website. I am forever greatful.

13. Back To Top    #13

Great Update.

Can you provide some additional info....

Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature. Put in all the equipment/specs of your pool and pump/filter.

Keep us posted.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

14. Back To Top    #14

pool is looking alot better, still a milky white but I know if I keep at it, it will get clearer. Thanks so much, I was about to tear down the pool because I was so frustrated. I was doing everything the pool place was telling me and spending so much money. I love this website, I am telling everyone about it.

15. Back To Top    #15

My pool looks wonderful, wish I had found this website early in the summer. I will never go back to using pool store chemicals. Thanks pool school.