Pool side basketball hoops

dmcody

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Looking for advice on a basketball hoop for our pool. Kids have been asking for a hoop and I’d prefer a permanently installed version, but I didn’t plan on this when I built the pool. Our coping is 24” wide x ~5” deep concrete and then pavers behind it as shown in this picture.

20180228_165906.jpg

Knowing that teenage boys would most likely hang on the rim, I’m not sure if I should get a permanently installed hoop or one with a heavy water filled base. I would appreciate any thoughts/experiences.

Does anybody have experience with this basketball hoop I found on amazon? The base claims to be 500 lbs when filled with water.

https://www.amazon.com/Dunnrite-Splash-Portable-Swimming-Basketball/dp/B002WOOR3I/ref=pd_sbs_200_36?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002WOOR3I&pd_rd_r=P0R2STZ6DRY2VSJPN9BR&pd_rd_w=BVfhy&pd_rd_wg=FNX0C&psc=1&refRID=P0R2STZ6DRY2VSJPN9BR

Ours was installed when the pool was built. If you go with a permanently installed one you will have to pull up some pavers and pour a new footing along with bonding the base to the rest of the pool.

The one you linked to looks very nice and that is probably what I would do in your situation.

Hoop.jpg

Yes, I highly recommend that one. I have it. It's awesome. You can see some pics of it in action in my build thread, but here's one too.

2015-05-17 15.30.38.jpg

Yeah, once the snow threat stops I suppose.

Ours was installed when the pool was built. If you go with a permanently installed one you will have to pull up some pavers and pour a new footing along with bonding the base to the rest of the pool.

The one you linked to looks very nice and that is probably what I would do in your situation.

View attachment 73190
Can you give me the make and model of this goal you installed. Is it SR Smith make? I have my two sleeves already installed in my deck just trying to find the right quality goal to use. SR Smith appears to be the popular one but comes with a hearty price tag too!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.