Algae and Pollen

Aug 15, 2017
Covington/LA
Winter is over here in Louisiana so I am going to start tending back to my pool again. The thing is, I had algae and was going to treat it. But then we had a pollen bloom and my pool is now covered in pollen. I am not sure how to get rid of both. Do I start testing water and bringing everything to normal levels? Or do I wait until pollen stops falling? I’m kind of at a loss of what to do. I’ve added 2 gallons of bleach and just can’t seem to get any of the algae to go.

Here are the basic procedures: Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool

If the pollen is floating it should work its way into your skimmer (assuming you have one). This might be a good time to add a hair net to the skimmer basket. I use these from amazon. Keep an eye on the skimmer and filter as they may clog quickly and starve your pump of water.

For the algae you will need to SLAM Process the pool. Good luck!

When you have algae, don't wait. Start a TFP SLAM right away (link below). The pollen is annoying and if left unattended could complicate matters, but don't let that stop you. SLAM now. As for the pollen, a combination of good water movement, filtration, and a skimmer sock is always a good start to capture that stuff as soon as it hits the water. Hope that helps.

I started a SLAM about 4 days ago. Brought my FC up to 24.5. Been vaccing every day for 3 days and still have algae on the bottom and also the little green bubbles after vaccing.

I've backflushed several times. I'll post chem values here in a couple hours. Just vacced AGAIN and letting things circ for awhile before I test. Last I checked, CYA=60 and pH was 7.4.

I do have lots of plant material falling into the pool from the mango and oak tree. Both are budding right now. Been skimming several times a day and running the filter 24/7 for a few days.

Ok great. Thank you everyone for the input. I did not shut my pool down for the winter. I ran the filter quite often but did not add any chemicals. It has not been green until it started getting warmer out. Will start with a slam.. I do have the stockings in my skimmer though.

Here are the basic procedures: Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool

If the pollen is floating it should work its way into your skimmer (assuming you have one). This might be a good time to add a hair net to the skimmer basket. I use these from amazon. Keep an eye on the skimmer and filter as they may clog quickly and starve your pump of water.

For the algae you will need to SLAM Process the pool. Good luck!

Hi! How do you put this hairnet on your skimmer? Just over the basket?

Do you have a leaf net to skim the surface with? If the pollen is floating on the water you can line the leaf net with some polyfill pillow stuffing to help capture the pollen. Only down side is you have to skim very, very slowly which can get tiring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.