Inherited Autopilot LS1000 - How to get it working?

May 17, 2016
New Orleans, LA
Hello!

I purchased a house a couple years ago and the pool has an Autopilot LS1000 SWCG. I didn't know what it was at the time or how to operate it so I've just been maintaining the pool with liquid chlorine/bleach for the past 2 years.

I've been looking at it recently and wondering how I could get it running. I understand it is a very old system; I'm unable to find any documentation/owner's manual for it.

Originally I thought it was broken because it never seemed to turn on or do anything, but I've recently discovered it turns on when the pump is on. Which is obvious now after reading about SWGs.

Right now when the pump turns on, the SWCG control panel show a blinking red light indicating a low salt level reading by the salt sensor. There is also a solid red light for "Flow" which I'm unsure what this means. The "Cell" light does not light up at all.

What I'm thinking is if I add salt to the pool, the salt sensor will sense it and somehow kick on and start working. Am I off base here?

Thanks!

control_panel_1.jpg

The Flow light would indicate low flow. Next time try increasing your pump rate (you do not show what type of pump you have in your signature so assuming either a two speed or VS).

If the FLOW light goes out with increased flowrate, then the unit just may be operational with appropriate salt in the water.

Hi mknauss,

I have a Pentair Challenger 343234 pump. There doesn't appear to be a way to change its speed. I can just turn it on/off via timer switch.

Maybe there is something wrong with the flow sensor? Here's another photo of my set up.

EDIT: The water seems to first flow through a non-working heater first, maybe that is slowing down the flow?

cell.jpg

The heater will create a bit of backpressure but doubt that is an issue with a big single speed pump.

Is there a wire running from the flow switch? I do not see one in the picture. It may just not be wired to the controller.

m,

The cell light will only come on when the cell is producing chlorine..

Before it can do that, it has to have the proper salt level, and the proper water flowing through the cell..

The first thing to fix is the flow problem... the unit has a flow switch or sensor somewhere.. It could be inside the cell or just before the cell. If you have good flow through your pool returns, then it is likely that the sensor/switch is bad.

I would not add any salt until you can get the flow light fixed.

Can you post a picture of the cell and surrounding area... (You must have read my mind) :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

The flow sensor is on the left in the little stubby pipe in the middle. There is also a screen filter somewhere in there before the Cell itself. When I have low flow issues, it is always because the screen is dirty.

JoshU is the expert on these things, hopefully he will chime in when he sees this.

Thanks guys.

Is there a wire running from the flow switch? I do not see one in the picture. It may just not be wired to the controller.

I found a wire coming from the bottom of the Autopilot control panel that was wrapped around a pipe not connected to anything. My guess it it should go to the flow sensor/switch. It is also frayed and damaged so I don't think it will be useful to me.

noaLKWn.jpg

If you have good flow through your pool returns, then it is likely that the sensor/switch is bad.

I have good flow through the returns.

There is also a screen filter somewhere in there before the Cell itself.

Yes, I see something with a label "CLEAN UNION SCREEN REGULARLY". Here's a picture:

gEuF9VJ.jpg

The flow sensor is on the left in the little stubby pipe in the middle.

Here is a picture of the flow sensor. It had a little cap on it. Taking it off, it has pins where some kind of connector should be plugged into it.

Y2jQr76.jpg

Thanks proavia! That's very helpful.

Looking at the troubleshooting section of the manual, it seems the first step to solve the flow sensor issue is to install a new "956 tri-sensor cable".

Would you guys recommend trying the tri-sensor cable first, or just go ahead and get a new tri-sensor with it?

What about recommended websites to purchase from?

I found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/AutoPilot-APA0003-Tri-Sensor-Assembly-Attached/dp/B002TSAZGU

But it looks like someone else with an Autopilot LS1000 had difficulties because the plug that goes into the circuit board is different.

Someone responded to them saying:

AutoPilot no longer manufactures the older version of the cord that is compatible with LS system. The APA0003 is the correct replacement however it will need to be modified to work with an LS system.

Doesn't sound good...

Appears some of the parts are expensive (main ciruit board). If more than the tri-sensor needs to be replaced, you may wish to consider looking into an entire replacement of the system. One of the CircuPool units might be a good alternative. If you do replace the system, be sure to size it 2-3 times your pool size.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.