Converting pump to Two Speed

Nov 20, 2013
Good Day All

I've done some research and on one of the threads here it said to post your setup for advice. Appreciate any feedback!

We are in the Bahamas and our pump has died. Currently just adding liquid pool bleach and a robot cleaner.

Imoort duties and taxes are expensive here and markups exorbitant - a 1hp Hayward super pumped II costs like 1250 USD.

I am 82.6% sure it's just my motor that has died. I had it rebuilt a year or so ago and now it's not even working after about a minute. I could be wrong.

I have a SWG and DE filter. 1hp single speed pump. Two 1.5" in and one 1.5" out.

Can I replace the motor with one of the integrated switch motors like here:

Dual Speed Pool Pump Motors W/ Digital Timer - INYOPools.com

I have a surge protector on the main panel and don't want to go VS due to our poor power supply.

Thanks for your input, please ask any questions you may need more info on!

(Pics soon come)

if,

The motors you pointed to all appear to have digital controls??? This makes them just a likely to be damaged by a power surge as a VS pump... It is the electronics that is the failure point, not the motor itself.

Why would you not go with a standard 2-speed motor where you change speeds using a simple switch or mechanical timer if your local power is suspect?

Once you decide what type of replacement motor you want, then your best bet is to talk with the people at INYO pools to confirm the motor is an exact fit for your specific pump.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim! Good point on the digital switch. Mechanical we will go.

Here are the pictures, had to upload to a server and reference:

20180228_084122.jpg

20180228_084133.jpg

20180228_084145.jpg

20180228_084150.jpg

20180228_084506.jpg

20180228_084511.jpg

That is a larger diameter motor than what you currently have. Some of the SuperPump's sold came with a removable shim at the back end of the motor and if your's has that shim, then you can remove it and it will work.

However, if you want a motor that is a direct replacement but is also two speed, then you want this one:

A.O. Smith 3/4 H.P Round Flange Dual Speed Full Rate Motor - STS1072R - INYOPools.com

The switch can be ordered separately.

As a separate note, the pump you have now runs came with a 1 HP up rated motor with a THP of 1.1 so a full rate 3/4 HP is sufficient.

Yes they do! Thank you so much, just placed the order with inyopools.com!

Impeller, Sp2607-c (spx2607c) 5110-10CA
A.O. Smith 3/4 H.P Round Flange Dual Speed Full Ra STS1072R
End Cover Switch Assembly (1011431-001) 5271-83
Saltwater Tune Up Kit Hayward Super Pump GOKIT3SALT

By my calculations, I should save around $800 a year by upgrading this!

Once this is done, I'll be back to the pool chemistry side of the forum to get back into the swim of things!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.