Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Converting pump to Two Speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Converting pump to Two Speed

Good Day All

I've done some research and on one of the threads here it said to post your setup for advice. Appreciate any feedback!

We are in the Bahamas and our pump has died. Currently just adding liquid pool bleach and a robot cleaner.

Imoort duties and taxes are expensive here and markups exorbitant - a 1hp Hayward super pumped II costs like 1250 USD.

I am 82.6% sure it's just my motor that has died. I had it rebuilt a year or so ago and now it's not even working after about a minute. I could be wrong.

I have a SWG and DE filter. 1hp single speed pump. Two 1.5" in and one 1.5" out.

Can I replace the motor with one of the integrated switch motors like here:

Dual Speed Pool Pump Motors W/ Digital Timer - INYOPools.com

I have a surge protector on the main panel and don't want to go VS due to our poor power supply.

Thanks for your input, please ask any questions you may need more info on!

(Pics soon come)
    15'x30'x4' avg, 13,500 gal, IG plaster, 1 HP Hayward pump, Hayward EC65/75 sqft cartridge filter, 1.5" piping, (pool girl on occasion) replaced by Tigershark QC, borates!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Converting pump to Two Speed

if,

The motors you pointed to all appear to have digital controls??? This makes them just a likely to be damaged by a power surge as a VS pump... It is the electronics that is the failure point, not the motor itself.

Why would you not go with a standard 2-speed motor where you change speeds using a simple switch or mechanical timer if your local power is suspect?

Once you decide what type of replacement motor you want, then your best bet is to talk with the people at INYO pools to confirm the motor is an exact fit for your specific pump.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jim! Good point on the digital switch. Mechanical we will go.

Here are the pictures, had to upload to a server and reference:

15'x30'x4' avg, 13,500 gal, IG plaster, 1 HP Hayward pump, Hayward EC65/75 sqft cartridge filter, 1.5" piping, (pool girl on occasion) replaced by Tigershark QC, borates!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think this is what I need?

U.S. Motors Emerson EB2975 Emerson 56J C-Flange Dual Speed 1.0/0.12HP Full Rated Pool and Spa Motor

Would I need a separate mechanical timer, or just some kind of switch to kick it into high mode to clean?

5. Back To Top    #5

Will a US Motors replacement fit the same as a Century AO Smith if they are both 56J? The pictures look slightly different in their attachment method?

6. Back To Top    #6

if,

I believe the answer is it will fit, but I am not 100% sure.. I've asked for one of our pump experts to chime in..

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

That is a larger diameter motor than what you currently have. Some of the SuperPump's sold came with a removable shim at the back end of the motor and if your's has that shim, then you can remove it and it will work.

However, if you want a motor that is a direct replacement but is also two speed, then you want this one:

A.O. Smith 3/4 H.P Round Flange Dual Speed Full Rate Motor - STS1072R - INYOPools.com

The switch can be ordered separately.

As a separate note, the pump you have now runs came with a 1 HP up rated motor with a THP of 1.1 so a full rate 3/4 HP is sufficient.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

if,

Our Experts know everything!!!!!

Thanks,

Jim R.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes they do! Thank you so much, just placed the order with inyopools.com!

Impeller, Sp2607-c (spx2607c) 5110-10CA
    A.O. Smith 3/4 H.P Round Flange Dual Speed Full Ra STS1072R
    End Cover Switch Assembly (1011431-001) 5271-83
    Saltwater Tune Up Kit Hayward Super Pump GOKIT3SALT

By my calculations, I should save around $800 a year by upgrading this!

Once this is done, I'll be back to the pool chemistry side of the forum to get back into the swim of things!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Congratulations! Any questions about the installation procedure or safety precautions (if you're doing it yourself)?
    If I was effective, and your pool makes you smile, please make me smile and CLICK HERE to Become a TFP Supporter!
    Also, please make AmazonSmile donate to TFP by CLICKING HERE, at no cost to you!
    20k IG plaster cart K-2006 | Helpful Info for New Members | TFPC for Beginners