Hayward Aqua Plus panel placement. Why not put it IN my house?

Dec 19, 2017
Culpeper, VA
I am (hopefully) going to do a DIY pool in Mid-April. I have been talking with the local permit folks / inspectors.

I plan on using the I plan on using the Hayward Aqua Plus for SWG and for some minimal automation. I have reviewed a thread that states I will need a 50 amp breaker in a subpanel, and a GFCI somewhere in there. If I put in the subpanel in the house, I need to run 6 gauge wire about 49 feet to get to where I was thinking of putting the Aqua Plus.

Questions:

1, is the Hayward Aqua Plus rated for "Weather Proof"? (Or is it going to be a big time breaker-tripper if I put it outside?

2, Why don't I just make the Aqua Plus panel the subpanel, and mount it in the house? All I would have to do then is to run control wires, power to the pump, and power to the pool light in to the house.

It's ok outside.

Why 50 amps? Unless you're running a heat pump, you don't need 50 amp service.

The cell power cord standard is 15 ft but there is a 25 ft cord cell.

I would put it by the equipment.

Mug,

The panels are made to be mounted outside near the equipment pad.. This is because the wiring from things like the salt cell, the VS Pump, valves, etc. are all only about 15 feet long. Does not mean you can't modify them, just more work...

They will not trip any breakers because they are in an enclosure...

The enclosure should have a load center built into it and this is where you would mount all the circuit breakers for the wiring going to the pool equipment.

I also believe that there is an electrical code that says the shut off (Breakers) have to be within 15 feet of the pool equipment... You will have to check with your local officials to see if that is really the case, or just hearsay...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.