Cooling a pool in Darwin NT Australia

BrettClearChoiceLabs

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Oct 24, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Swimming pool gets cool using heat science and Darwin mans ingenuity - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Interesting idea, not sure if it's been done before on pools. Essentially he circulates pool water into the air over his pool during the cooler mornings to help reduce the temperature of that water which then falls into the pool and keeps the pool cooler.

Darwin is in the Northern Territory which for us Aussies is the hot bit. Its average winter time low temp is about 70 fahrenheit, and then it goes to about 100 most of the time, with so much humidity you can carve bits of it out of the air and take it home with you if that's your thing. It's one of those places where when you fly in, you're sweating as soon as the plane doors open. Northern Territory is one of those places where even Aussies in other states nod at ridiculous stories and go "yep, sounds like the NT". I live in Queensland which is next door but slightly cooler. It's the first day of autumn here tomorrow and it's predicted to be 33C/91F degrees hooray!

Lots of homemade fountains on this forum for just that purpose!

It does raise your pH but it works!

Yeah, no way I could live in Darwin. People who are from there do love it though. We're Brisbane too and the weather is pretty much perfect for me. I can guarantee that our cool change will come mid to late April... when our pool is due for handover [emoji31] Is it a good time to order my test kit or are you guys still trying to get the reagent issue sorted? Keen to test my neighbours water [emoji23]

Solar water heater panels run at night with no sun on them would also work to cool the pool without the pH or water loss problems.

Another option would be to use a standard radiator from a car with a fan cooling the coils again run at night when the air temps are lowest.

Neither of these options will bring you below ambient air temps tho so that is a disadvantage when compared to the fountain approach. Fountains also look pretty so there is that.

Hey Maddie that pool fountain looks awesome. As a husband my handiwork never looks that good, when I need some work done on the house can I borrow him? :D Might be a bit of a long travel time for him though. I've never seen this done, but it makes sense I guess - but being a QLDer the pool water tends to stay nice compared to the air temp so I've never thought about it.

I know, the Darwin people are fiercely protective of their town and lifestyle but I guess when you get used to living there everywhere else must look busy, overcrowded and cold by comparison :D
I love the way people think about their cities. Melbourne and Sydney people tend to be more concerned with "our city is better than Melb/Sydney". Adelaide people are keen to let you know those murders happened a long time ago and it's all fine. Perth people don't care what you think, they just want you to know that their gst is paying for everything. Hobart and Launceston people stay quiet because they don't want any more mainlanders coming down and messing up their house prices.

Brisbane people know their city is perfect, of course. Unless you want public transport or to eat out after 8pm.

Our reagent issues are sorted, I'm still having niggling issues getting the CYA standard to sit at 50 - it's varying too much for me considering I want it to be perfect. But the reagent and test itself are good, so feel free to put an order in and start testing your neighbours pool :goodjob::razz:

Thanks Brett, Skippy would love to help at your home if you send him the air tix, LOL

I always try to warn folks who are building these shallow sport pools down south that they're going to feel like bathwater in August and hope they reconsider and go a bit deeper for cooler water.

Maddie :flower:

I stopped wanting to visit Australia when I learned you guys have these - Australian funnel-web spider - Wikipedia

In Arizona -
  • Scorpions...no big deal.
  • Tarantulas....too dumb and slow to be an issue.
  • Rattle snakes....ok, they're deadly but they're also very shy and so not really a major threat.

Monster spider with fangs that can pierce through shoes....uhh, :gone:

I stopped wanting to visit Australia when I learned you guys have these - Australian funnel-web spider - Wikipedia
Monster spider with fangs that can pierce through shoes....uhh, :gone:

Not only that - but they can live underwater for some time due to the air bubbles which are trapped in their body hairs.

Not much fun if you have one fall into a pool...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The most dangerous thing in Australia is the drivers when there's the tiniest bit of rain. Everyone forgets how to drive and it's madness! :swim:

The animals out here are pretty chilled and not really deadly. I mean the koalas will give you chlamydia, and a wombat will rip your engine block out if you hit them at speed. And a roo can kick your stomach out through your spine. Oh we really only have one non-deadly spider in Australia so just for laughs we call it a huntsman. But the snakes are ok, you really only see carpet pythons in suburbia. Unless you're in less dense suburbia then you'll get red bellies and brown snakes, they'll kill you. But they're scared of you most of the time until they reach 5-8 foot in length.

And of course if you go north, the crocs will get you, but only if you go swimming. Anywhere. But they won't get you in your house unless it's flooding, which it only does most of the year. The rest of the year it's just the cyclones that are a nuisance. And the snakes and spiders. Also don't look up the Cassowary. It's a 6 foot tall turkey with velociraptor claws and anger issues.

Having said all that though, I'm super glad I don't live in a country with tarantulas and scorpions, they freak me out. And the photos people put online of mountain lions just sitting on their porch, that's scary. I've seen a mountain lion up close here... in a zoo, and there's no way I want that thing casually strolling through my yard! :shock: :gone::cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.