Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Much Salt do I need?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question How Much Salt do I need?

How much salt do u need for a 18x48 pool for first start up

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Much Salt do I need?

You need to know your starting salinity.

What is the average depth?

What is the pool volume?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How Much Salt do I need?

Debi,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your pool start up questions...

Assuming your pool is new, or the water is new, then you do not have to worry about the current salt level.. If this is an existing pool, you will need to know how much salt is already in the pool before adding any additional salt.

To determine the amount of salt you need, you will need to know the volume of your pool, in gallons, or you need to know the length, the Width, and the Average depth... You can enter the numbers in Pool Math... See this link... PoolMath

A pool that is 18x48 and 4 feet deep is about 26,000 gallons and would take 750 lbs. of salt to get the salt level up to 3400 ppm...

Just dawned on me.. is this an above ground pool?? If so, an 18' round pool that is 48" deep, would be about 7,600 gallons and would require 215 lbs. of salt to get to 3400 ppm.

You can figure all that out in the above Pool Math link..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.