How to seal stone?

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
I think my waterfall is decaying, to the point that I am beginning to worry that it could actually break should I step on the cantilevered part that hangs over the pool. Every day the Polaris has a tablespoon or 2 of sand and each pool of the waterfall has a base of sand in it. When I touch the waterfall I get sand on my hand. There is always a bit of sand beneath the waterfall.

I worry (at 3AM when I sometimes wake up and worry about stupid stuff that may or may not be my fault) that trying to adjust the TA lower with MA and running the waterfall has eaten through some coating that may have been there. No one mentioned to maintain anything on the waterfall rocks, I dunno if there was a coating that I have damaged.

Around here, we actually tend to call these rocks "Moss Rocks" and I think they are softer than flagstone.

So, what do I get, how do I use it? Dry the rocks, siphon out the standing water, paint or spray something inside the waterfall cavities as well as the spillway rocks? What about the coping of the pool, I see at least one rock where the grout looks like the rock itself has worn away from where it used to be by maybe 1/4".

I read on another thread that you were disappointed that no one responded to your post so I'll pass along what little I know. I too asked this same question quite some time back on a couple of forums, as I had a problem very similar to yours on another pool.

Bottom line: No one seems to have a definitive product to use. :x

One poster said they used an acrylic or epoxy sealer on their deck and perhaps it would work on the stone. One poster said a penetrating sealer might not work. Yet another reply came from a self-described waterproofing contractor who recommended Siloxane; available in 5-gallon pails and applied by brush or Hudson sprayer. And, finally, yet another poster questioned whether products like Rainstopper and Silox Seal would work. I also read in another post that someone used the regular ol' Thompson's Water Seal and had mixed success with it.

We had a pool contractor who thought he had the definitive product to use for stone, after learning about it at a pool convention, but he never told me the name of it. He said you had to be sure the stone was dry and clean. Then this product would be sprayed until it bubbled on the surface. Additional coats would be done until the mixture no longer bubbled. He said the product would need to be applied every year or two.

So, that's the sum total of what I was able to find out when I was looking for this information. Maybe it holds a piece or two of information you can check on further. I think the answer might eventually lie with long-time professional building contractors who utilize stone and are familiar with the wide array of sealing products. Maybe try to get some info from stoneyards or brickyards, too????? Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Pretty easy to see that if no one HERE knows for sure what to use, then there is no clear answer!

Clean and dry stones -- yeah, right. If that is the case, this will all have to wait until maybe next year when I either try an acid wash or have to replaster. Not only am I concerned about the waterfall, but the entire pool has moss rocks used coping (is that the right term? the side and edge of the pool that touches the water and touches the concrete decking, where most pools use tile at the water and something else at the top near decking).

So, it is on the back burner for now. I suppose that sort of thing is not to be attempted here as hurricane season begins. Maybe next June/July if we have another scorching drought.

Surprise, surprise...DuPont's Stone Tec line of products has been recently mentioned on another forum with respect to sealing natural stone around a pool. It seems like the Bullet Proof product and the one made for saltwater uses might be something to consider. Nowhere does it indicate that either product would be appropriate for stone continuously immersed in water, such as a waterfall, though. Still....it might be worth a call to DuPont to ask about the suitability of these products for a waterfall. It seems like the saltwater one might be appropriate for your coping stone.

I haven't used any of these products myself...just passing along the info.
http://www2.dupont.com/Stone_Tech_P...ucts/Protect/salt_water_resistant_sealer.html

Have a major sand stone errosion problem going on at the moment seems likely that its due to SWG pool water ( around the 3200 ppm mark ) never really noticed it before but over the past month or so the stonework around the pool feels sandy to the touch and im vacing a bunch of sand out of the pool on a daily basis, perhaps the stones were treated by previous owner and now its time for me to do the same ( moved in a year and a half ago ) have internet surfed & read this site for info and it looks like the expensive DuPont salt resistant sealer is the only way to go. Lowes / Home depot & my local rock suppliers dont have in stock so im guessing online is probably my only option, can anyone suggest the best place to buy from ? or any suppliers in the North Houston area ?
THanks,
SS

I've had good luck so far with 511 Impregnator Sealer. See the link below. It's not cheap at $34/quart. But a little goes a long way.

I've noticed some minor erosion on one piece of my travertine coping but otherwise it seems to be working well after 3+ years. I seal it every year.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Sealants-32-oz-Impregnator-Penetrating-Sealer-511-QT-H/100076375

I used this same product just a few weeks ago. Sealed flagstone on top the spa edge, stones around the landscaped pool edge and the travertine coping. This stuff really beads up the water big time! Only took about a hour to do. Had some spillage into spa that looked like a small oil spill but scooped out most of it as it was like string material in the water. Noticed the "rust" from the spa spillover flagstone has almost completly gone now, so it's doing it job. Now this stuff is rated 20 years but that is inside a home. Will not be suprised if it's a much shorter time outside. If it's every year that's still not bad because in my case i only used 1/2 the quart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.