BBB and Bicarb and Soda Ash

Aug 4, 2009
I was first introduced to BBB at PS websight a few years ago. I do not understand the resoning for the Borax to raise PH and Baking soda to raise Alk as opposed to soda ash for PH and bicarbonate of soda for alk.

Can someone shed a little light on the pros and cons. I have always bought Soda ash and Bicarb in 50lb bags to get the best deals. I am in amazement at what I see in the pool store for what they get for the same stuff in fancy little plastic bottles with big brand names on the label. Proves there is a sucker born every now and again.

Terry

Bicarbonate of soda and baking soda are the exact same thing. Usually the pool store version is far more expensive than the grocery store version.

Borax raises the TA much less than soda ash raises the TA, using amounts that raise the PH by the same amount. Often you are trying to minimize the increase in TA, and borax is most appropriate. In some situations, raising the TA is handy and soda ash is more convenient. And, again, borax from the grocery store is often less expensive than soda ash from the pool store for the same PH change.

When purchased in bulk, all three chemicals are generally cheaper than either the grocery store or the pool store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.