Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IntelliFlo started without any water in basket. Am I OK?

1. Back To Top    #1

IntelliFlo started without any water in basket. Am I OK?

I started my IntelliFlo up for the first time yesterday without any water in the pump basket. It pulled water in soon after and it's been running great for a day now. Did I likely cause any damage not having water in the basket as indicated in the owner's manual? Sure hope not :/

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: IntelliFlo started without any water in basket. Am I OK?

raw,

It will be fine.. You just don't' want that to happen for a long time..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

That's a relief. I read that in the manual this morning and got weak in the knees

4. Back To Top    #4

Based on the way pool pumps are able to prime themselves, you had to have had some water in the pump. It may not have been visible in the pump pot but there was definitely water in the volute or it wouldnt have been able to prime itself.

As i understand it, every new Intelliflo is test run so even fresh out of the box, the pump likely had some water in it as i am sure Pentair doesnt go to any great lengths to completely drain the pump after testing.
    Jay

28,000 gal in-ground hybrid pool with PacFab Superflow 100 sand filter with VitroClean media, Intelliflo VS pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Raypak R336A Millivolt natural gas pool heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by griffths View Post
    Based on the way pool pumps are able to prime themselves, you had to have had some water in the pump. It may not have been visible in the pump pot but there was definitely water in the volute or it wouldnt have been able to prime itself.

As i understand it, every new Intelliflo is test run so even fresh out of the box, the pump likely had some water in it as i am sure Pentair doesnt go to any great lengths to completely drain the pump after testing.
    Makes sense...thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

For those who are interested in the theory and more visual learners...

Centrifugal pump priming video
    Jay

28,000 gal in-ground hybrid pool with PacFab Superflow 100 sand filter with VitroClean media, Intelliflo VS pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Raypak R336A Millivolt natural gas pool heater