IntelliFlo started without any water in basket. Am I OK?

rawb

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2017
Lexington, SC
I started my IntelliFlo up for the first time yesterday without any water in the pump basket. It pulled water in soon after and it's been running great for a day now. Did I likely cause any damage not having water in the basket as indicated in the owner's manual? Sure hope not :/

Based on the way pool pumps are able to prime themselves, you had to have had some water in the pump. It may not have been visible in the pump pot but there was definitely water in the volute or it wouldnt have been able to prime itself.

As i understand it, every new Intelliflo is test run so even fresh out of the box, the pump likely had some water in it as i am sure Pentair doesnt go to any great lengths to completely drain the pump after testing.

Based on the way pool pumps are able to prime themselves, you had to have had some water in the pump. It may not have been visible in the pump pot but there was definitely water in the volute or it wouldnt have been able to prime itself.

As i understand it, every new Intelliflo is test run so even fresh out of the box, the pump likely had some water in it as i am sure Pentair doesnt go to any great lengths to completely drain the pump after testing.

Makes sense...thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.