IC40 - How do I know how much salt should I add after the initial balance?

rawb

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2017
Lexington, SC
I apologize in advance if this is a newbie question. The pool guys will be balancing my pool and finishing up this week. After the initial balance, we will put the IC40 inline instead of the straight pipe I have in there temporarily during the balance. My question is how do I know how what the proper amount of salt is to put in the pool at that point? It's roughly 19.5K gallons.

Thanks and let me know if I've left out information that is needed to properly answer this question.

Thanks!

Use PoolMath! See link at top of page. Put in 19500 gallons. I would suggest adding about 2800 ppm to the pool first and then see what the real amount is. I assume you have the proper test kits for your pool including the salt test kit.

Once you test after adding that first amount, then add some more to get near 3400 ppm prior to starting the SWCG.

Hi neighbor! Quick remember, the SWG doesn't work all that well with water temps below 60F. I'm at 55F with the cover still on waiting to add salt myself. I want to wait to take the cover off so I can brush the entire pool after adding all that salt. Until then we have to manually add chlorine as needed.

Great...thanks for the prompt replies! That all makes sense. I will go with 2800 ppm initially and then up to 3400 as you suggested. I will also keep in mind that the SWG may not work as well in cold temperatures.

As far as the Sanitizer Output % on the SWG, I guess the only say I'll know what to set that to is by testing the chlorine levels and seeing if I need more or less?

Raw,

The IC40 does not provide accurate salt readings until the water is above 60 degrees.. even then it is =/- 500 ppm.. It will work above about 52 degrees, but is just not accurate..

I only say this because you will be temped to look at the Low Salt light and assume you need to add more salt. This is ok in the summer, but this time a year it will be way off and you will add much more salt than you want. It won't hurt anything, but you will be able to taste it... I know this from being 'tempted'.. :p

Do you have a salt test kit?? If not, I suggest the Taylor K-1766, it works great and gives you an accurate salt reading independent of temperature.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Raw,

The IC40 does not provide accurate salt readings until the water is above 60 degrees.. even then it is =/- 400 ppm.. It will work above about 52 degrees, but is just not accurate..

I only say this because you will be temped to look at the Low Salt light and assume you need to add more salt. This is ok in the summer, but this time a year it will be way off and you will add much more salt than you want. It won't hurt anything, but you will be able to taste it... I know this from being 'tempted'.. :p

Do you have a salt test kit?? If not, I suggest the Taylor K-1766, it works great and gives you an accurate salt reading independent of temperature.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim! I may grab one of those kits. I was reading up on the TF-100 and considering that for everything. Do it test salt as well?

As far as the Sanitizer Output % on the SWG, I guess the only say I'll know what to set that to is by testing the chlorine levels and seeing if I need more or less?

Here is a thread with a calculator for a SWCG SWG Run Time Calculator

Your IC40 can produce 1.4 lb of chlorine per day at 100%. So when you start, assume you will consume 1 ppm per day. Use the calculator to see at what setting and your desired pump runtime you need to set everything at to attain the 1 ppm. Then as you test, you will see if you need less or more. Be sure to bring your FC up to your Target level based on [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] with bleach first.

Take care.

Here is a thread with a calculator for a SWCG SWG Run Time Calculator

Your IC40 can produce 1.4 lb of chlorine per day at 100%. So when you start, assume you will consume 1 ppm per day. Use the calculator to see at what setting and your desired pump runtime you need to set everything at to attain the 1 ppm. Then as you test, you will see if you need less or more. Be sure to bring your FC up to your Target level based on [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] with bleach first.

Take care.

mknauss... Makes perfect sense now. That SWCG calculator was awesome. I guess now it's just a matter of if I want to run a lower output for a longer period of time or a higher output for a shorter amount of time.

Yup!!! That is the choice.

For example, when summer arrives here (about April 1) I set mine to generate chlorine during the hours the sun is on the pool. Usually about 6 - 7 hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.