Feb 26, 2018
Fort Wayne, IN
I need to change filter sand this year...before opening in mid-April. Has anyone tried Zeolite sand? If so did it work any better then regular pool sand? The first 2 years my pool was easier to take care of....but last year especially was lots of chlorine....kept getting chlorine demand. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure what you mean by chlorine demand but algae and a large consumption of chlorine over normal is not a filtering problem but a chemistry problem. How do you test your water? How do you chlorinate?

I would suggest searching for Zeolite in the box in the upper right of this page.
From what I have seen, sand is best. It also rarely needs to be replaced. It has been here for millions of years and it would be hard pressed for you to wear it out in a few years. Now, if you have used pool store potions (clarifiers, floc's, etc) they may ruin it, but you should never use those anyway.

Take care.

I am looking for more information, to make a better informed decision about Zeolite.
The general consensus for members who use it is that it works. It's does not appear to be wiz bang better, it works. But, it's a lot more expensive than regular old filter sand.

But, sand works. We have found that folks blame lots of pool issues on "their sand" when in fact the sand has little to do with the problems they are having. Sand doesn't wear out. The only folks who say it does are the same folks trying to sell new sand or selling Zeolite. As Marty said above, seldom are problems a filtering issue, but more times than not they are a chemistry problem.

The general consensus for members who use it is that it works. It's does not appear to be wiz bang better, it works. But, it's a lot more expensive than regular old filter sand.
This has been my experience with it so far. I'm not really convinced it's working as well as they advertise it should (which may be a byproduct of the nastiness I started with), but it is working nonetheless.

Additionally, backflushing Zeo needs to be done carefully. Its lower density makes it more prone to get stirred up and ejected with waste water, at least with my system.

This has been my experience with it so far. I'm not really convinced it's working as well as they advertise it should (which may be a byproduct of the nastiness I started with), but it is working nonetheless.

Additionally, backflushing Zeo needs to be done carefully. Its lower density makes it more prone to get stirred up and ejected with waste water, at least with my system.

That is very interesting :eek: I did notice how small, almost dust like it looked. Thank you for your reply.

- - - Updated - - -

But, sand works. We have found that folks blame lots of pool issues on "their sand" when in fact the sand has little to do with the problems they are having. Sand doesn't wear out. The only folks who say it does are the same folks trying to sell new sand or selling Zeolite. As Marty said above, seldom are problems a filtering issue, but more times than not they are a chemistry problem.

One benefit is not having to haul 700lbs of sand, for the two filters onsite. I like sand due to it being what works in most pools already. But I need to be open minded to trying new things and share the experience with others. Thank you for the input. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.