New to me heat pump questions....

Mar 15, 2016
Easley, SC
First I would like to thank Mr Bruce on this forum for an awesome deal on this heat pump and it was great meeting you. I came across his listing on craigslist and purchased it last Friday. Now for the questions...

Do I need a check valve?
I have a stenner pump with an injection point that will be about 2 feet after the heat pump. I have my automation setup to run 30 minutes after the chlorine injection has completed to make sure it gets properly circulated. I know you always have a chance of something failing but what is your opinion on needing the check valve?

I need help finding the correct "half union" to complete my connection.
I have emailed Pentair and hope to heat back from them but cannot find anything referencing just the half union for my particular heat pump. I have the threaded side of the union glued to the heat pump and the nuts that screw on. I need the sleeve that the nut holds on to the threaded side of the fitting. Anyone have suggestions?

Is it ok to install the heat pump lower than my main pump and filter?
The best location I have for the heat pump is about a foot lower than my main pump and filter. The bottom of the heat pump will be around the top water level of the pool. Any concerns with this?

With a stenner pump yea you should have a check valve.

You will probably have to buy a complete union to get the parts you need.

Installing lower should be fine but make sure you can drain the unit completely during winter months to prevent and freeze damage.

:goodjob: It was great to meet you too. I should have paid you for dragging that thing out of the pool area! HA!

Let me know when you get it installed and working, I'm glad it can makes some kids happy and not just sit there and do nothing by my pool.

With a stenner pump yea you should have a check valve.

You will probably have to buy a complete union to get the parts you need.

Installing lower should be fine but make sure you can drain the unit completely during winter months to prevent and freeze damage.

Thanks. That is what I figured but wanted to get another opinion. I have seen half unions online by Pentair but not certain they will work.

:goodjob: It was great to meet you too. I should have paid you for dragging that thing out of the pool area! HA!

Let me know when you get it installed and working, I'm glad it can makes some kids happy and not just sit there and do nothing by my pool.

I will admit, after dragging it up that hill and then unloading it and moving it around at the house, I was done for the day.. haha.
Wife and kids are ready for me to get it installed and the pool open now! I will probably get started on it soon but not completely hooked up until the new liner goes in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.