Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Zodiac G3 vs mx6 vs hayward aquanaut 200

1. Back To Top    #1

Zodiac G3 vs mx6 vs hayward aquanaut 200

I have an enclosed 12k gallons pool, and i want to get a small automatic vacuum for it, i guess i narrow it down to: Zodiac G3 vs mx6 vs hayward aquanaut 200 i dont really want to spent to much on a cleaner since the pool is screened and there are no leaves or big debris to vacuum...

Thanks!
    IG / 14x28 / Roman_Grecian Shaped / 12000 Gallons / Pebble Sheen / Hayward SP32900VSP TriStar VS Pump / Hayward DE4820 DE Filter / Hayward aqua rite 900 Salt System / Hayward Color Logic LED Light / Hayward HP21404t heat pump / Intermatic T40000RT3 / Built 02-18

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Zodiac G3 vs mx6 vs hayward aquanaut 200

Nice to meet you via TFP

G3 will tend to get caught some of the time in corners or against steps. Fine in freeform with all or mostly curved surfaces. Thumping effect bothers some people (annoying noise when amplified by a glass pool fence!) The big flap does some brushing/disruption of the surface (good thing). Very simple and easy to maintain.

MX6 works pretty well and does a bit of brushing/disruption of the surface. Long skinny debris gets caught in impeller and stops it (e.g. stuff that falls off palms), easy enough to clear, but worth noting. Needs specified flow. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for a screened pool.

Aquanaut 200 - no personal experience. Hayward bought Poolverneugen, which made the "The Pool Cleaner" which was highly regarded, and have made some recent changes, so not a lot of experience to go from directly. No brushing, just vacuuming, other than a bit of tyre spin.

I would add mine - Pentair Warrior (Rebel) which is pretty much a direct copy of "The Pool Cleaner", same comments as above. I expect this next comment applies to both Aquanaut and mine, but I've found that it works fine at vacuuming the floor at well below the specified flow rate. Needs specified flow to do walls (but I don't vacuum walls ) Good hose (never tangled) and I've found the Pentair hose to be better than Jandy/Zodiac. If running well at low flow is important, this or the Hayward is what I'd recommend.

I don't have experience with them, but there are happy members here with the Hayward Navigator and the Hayward Aqua Bug.

If you didn't already have a DE filter, or you want brushing mostly done for you, a robotic cleaner would be worth considering.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Tips for New Members to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

Nice to meet you =)

So based on my research after posting this, im no longer interested on the G3, that leaves the MX6 or the aquanaut 200, i looked at some reviews of the The Pool Cleaner and it seems to have issues with walls, which based on videos the Mx6 does not... So that gives the edge to the Mx6 maybe? Also i saw a video of a guy adding the blades of the MX8 elite to the MX6, making it the MX6 elite which seems pretty cool. Just dont know if a good idea with new pebble

And as far as the robot goes, ummm i think they are too much money, for the amount of dirt i will have on my pool

Also the aquanaut has a $100 rebate unmm
    IG / 14x28 / Roman_Grecian Shaped / 12000 Gallons / Pebble Sheen / Hayward SP32900VSP TriStar VS Pump / Hayward DE4820 DE Filter / Hayward aqua rite 900 Salt System / Hayward Color Logic LED Light / Hayward HP21404t heat pump / Intermatic T40000RT3 / Built 02-18

4. Back To Top    #4

FWIW, I don't recall seeing the MX6 in my daughter's pool go up the walls. It's a 1.5 HP single speed pump and 1.5" pipe. Glass beads in plaster.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Tips for New Members to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

I should get the Mx6 tomorrow, ill update with my 1st impressions.

6. Back To Top    #6

So got the Zodiac yesterday and it got me wondering... 1st it took me a while to setup getting the hoses air free was insteresing on a 70 water temp, then opening the Vac hole, and installing was also a bit more work than what i tought, then took me a while to also figure out the right rpm for my pump to run at the right suction, it does claim walls but it also goes out of the water and sucks air which is no good imo... It also got stuck few times on my steps it gets into a corner where the 1st step starts and the wall, it inclines it self and can never get out, i let it run overnight and found it stuck there this morning, not sure how i feel about it... Not sure if i should return it, get the mx8 (maybe the bigger brother wont get stuck), get a cheap robot, ummm

7. Back To Top    #7

Return and get a robot. Why fuss with hoses, etc...? Dump the robot in the pool and take it out a few hours later. Rinse the filter boxes and you're good. Bought mine for $600 with a 3 year warranty and a caddy.
    30k, 20x40 freeform with spillover spa IG, Pebble sheen finish, Gold line SWG, DE filter, Caretaker in-floor cleaner, Screened in pool

8. Back To Top    #8

Personal choice for sure, but just in case you want to sort the one you have, it sounds like the float that attaches to the hose might be too close to the cleaner, and/or your flow rate is still too high. I wouldn't expect the MX8 to be much different, but I've never used one.

To fill the hose, just push the hose, hand over hand, straight down into the water (no need to get your hands wet). The water that's coming in from the cleaner end is displacing the air.

About the only thing I can think of in terms of having trouble connecting a vac hose to a vac port is if there's some suction on it. The valve at the equipment pad needs to be fully off when you're connecting, or perhaps it's leaking and needs maintenance.