base demand and acid demand tests

jingo6390

Bronze Supporter
Sep 13, 2017
Tucson
I have found an old taylor K-2005 test kit. In that kit are reagents for base demand and acid demand. Evidently these tests tell you how much acid or base to add to reach a given PH in your pool. I have never used these tests, I just guestimate the amount of acid or base to add, and then test the next day and adjust. Does anyone here actually use these tests? Seems unnecessary.

I use the acid demand test much more than base demand test as I always have to lower pH not raise it. The drops work quite well as a sanity check against PoolMath. The reagents, if properly stored, will work for years...mine have.

I've use it on my spa. It's an easy test since it tags along on the back of a pH test. All you do is add a drop at a time to your pH sample. Since the drops are acid or base, this changes the pH of the test solution and therefore the color. Go till you reach the pH you desire, then look up amount of acid or base in the test kit manual.

Was spot on in my testing (after I interpolated the amount to add for my 290 gallon spa as the lowest table is 400 gallons), so I didn't have to adjust it the next day. This test should always be more accurate that PoolMath because Poolmath can only estimate pH changes because there are many factors affecting pH, but since the test is adding acid or base to your water it's not an estimate anymore.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.