Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: base demand and acid demand tests

1. Back To Top    #1

base demand and acid demand tests

I have found an old taylor K-2005 test kit. In that kit are reagents for base demand and acid demand. Evidently these tests tell you how much acid or base to add to reach a given PH in your pool. I have never used these tests, I just guestimate the amount of acid or base to add, and then test the next day and adjust. Does anyone here actually use these tests? Seems unnecessary.
    12500 total gallons IG pebbletec, 12000 pool 500 spa with spillway and waterfall, (Pac-Fab) Pentair sand filter
    (Pac-Fab) Pentair Challenger 2hp
    The Pool Cleaner side suction
    Testing: TF-100, Taylor K-1515-A, ColorQ 7 Pro, AquaCheck7 strips

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: base demand and acid demand tests

I use PoolMath - The App!

Works great.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Regular drop test plus pool math.

I could see those demand tests to be nice when things aren't making sense and you want to double check.
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

4. Back To Top    #4

I use the acid demand test much more than base demand test as I always have to lower pH not raise it. The drops work quite well as a sanity check against PoolMath. The reagents, if properly stored, will work for years...mine have.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

I've use it on my spa. It's an easy test since it tags along on the back of a pH test. All you do is add a drop at a time to your pH sample. Since the drops are acid or base, this changes the pH of the test solution and therefore the color. Go till you reach the pH you desire, then look up amount of acid or base in the test kit manual.

Was spot on in my testing (after I interpolated the amount to add for my 290 gallon spa as the lowest table is 400 gallons), so I didn't have to adjust it the next day. This test should always be more accurate that PoolMath because Poolmath can only estimate pH changes because there are many factors affecting pH, but since the test is adding acid or base to your water it's not an estimate anymore.
    Hot tub: Indoor Intex 28409E "Six Person" inflatable. 290 gallons. Taylor K-2006 test kit with Taylor 9265 Speedstir and TFT CYA test. Using dichlor/bleach/borax/muriatic acid.