Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stainless steel sand Filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stainless steel sand Filter?

Hi all,

I just bought a home with a pool and the pump equipment is all really old except the pump. I'm trying to find out specs on the filter. Has anyone ever seen a stainless steel sand filter before? I will post up some pics when I get internet at home.
    (16,000 - 20,000)gal 25'x15' IG painted plaster
    100lb sand filter with 1hp Hayward pump
    2 returns, 1 skimmer, and 1 drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stainless steel sand Filter?

Yeah, My dad has a BBQ grill made out of one. I don't know how it worked as a filter but it's a hum-dinger of a grill!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I installed a Lo-Mart Stainless Steel sand filter in my 40000G steel pool in about 1970. It worked flawlessly until the whole pool was decommissioned in 2003. I bet it would still be working now. Sometimes I wish I had kept it. The tank was never opened and the only maintenance were some soft MPV parts. 33 years ain't bad. It came with a solid bronze Purex pump that went through 3 motors (one thanks to Hurricane Floyd) but was also running at the end.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Yeah, My dad has a BBQ grill made out of one. I don't know how it worked as a filter but it's a hum-dinger of a grill!
    Redneck BBQ grill?