Time to fix the pool stones

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to All,

Figured out that the efflorescence on our travertine is from the travertine coping above and probably this thinset used to install it. We have had 8-10: rains before and no problem. But, when you have 40-50" of rain from a hurricane, all the rules are gone.

Enclosed is a pic of the efflorescence. I am looking for solutions on how to prep, remove and restore the travertine tiles. we have all travertine and any acid or acid based products will etch and ruin the stone. Since spring is sometime in the near future, l'm looking or 3-4 days of cooler dryer weather for removal, cleaning and restoration. All specific products makes/models and tools needed and any detailed processes would be very much appreciated Since I'll be working right by the pool waterlines, I'm sure whatever I do will be falling into the water.

Enclosed are 3 pics, 2 of the pool and 1 of what Harvey did to some friends of ours about 1.5 miles away..those street signs are 8 ft to the signs...it was like that for 19 days while the reservoirs were drained...you can see the currents...thank you, tstex

Attachments

• pool wall travertine1.jpg
    pool wall travertine1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 57
  • pool wall travertine2.jpg
    pool wall travertine2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 57
  • h-harvey1.jpg
    h-harvey1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 57
OH so sad for so many :(

Okay I know you say you think it came from the coping but to me it looks like it came through the grout. Of course I am not there and seen what you have so....

I am going to put in a call to someone that may know how to best go about what you want to do. Hold on a bit as it might be a bit from him to get back with us.

Kim:kim:

I wonder if it isn't coming from the planter behind the tiled wall? Water pushing in on the tile, cement, grout, etc causes calcium and elements in there to come out.

I would try to waterproof the backside of that wall somehow or use landscape type plastic sheeting under up the wall and somewhat below ground to form a barricade.

Just my two cents. I have efflorescence on a cement wall myself. :(

Maddie :flower:

Thanks Kim and Mattie.

Clarification- I believe the water came from and thru the coping, down and out the grout. there's a ceramic tile on the back that's 18x18, then thinset, then about an 20" thick gunite wall, then the thinset of the travertine and the 6" travertine stones..also, the same thing happened to some of the pool water line 6" travertine that goes around the pool and the leaching lines are coming from right under the coping, the same material that's over the wall too.

thank you, tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.