New to BBB with a green pool!

Aug 6, 2009
We have struggled to keep our pool clear. We have put hundreds of $$$ of chemicals into it this summer as per the pool store instructions but to no avail it's still green. We have a layer of yellow algea that brushes away easily but its coating the entire pool. Water is pretty clear in shallow but green down in the deep. Yesterday I added 5 182oz bottles of bleach from Walmart. Today I added another. I got the 6 way test kit from Walmart (I know you all recommend the FASDPD but I don't have the time and have to convince my husband first. So, how do I know if my chlorine is at shock level? My test kit only goes up to 10 and it's showing that now. Yesterday morning my cholrine was at 0 and it's been high ever since so does that rule out mustard algea since it's holding the chlorine?

Also, I am just pouring the bleach into the skimmer slowly, is that right? I saw a post about people prefering one or the other so didn't know. It hasn't bleached my liner yet so I'm thinking it's okay.

When do I vaccuum it out again? I have just been brushing it 3 times a day.

Thanks to any help you all have to offer! I do appreciate it! I need this to work so my husband doesn't kill me for pouring bleach into it! (He doesn't like change!)
Here are my numbers:
Total Chlorine 10
pH 7.5
CYA 60 (I had been using the test strips until today and it had showed 30 for the past month)

congrats on trying this method. it will work if you stick with it. a fas-dpd test will make your life a lot easier and clear it quicker, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I recommend showing him this link:
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1180

you can add bleach that way, or you can pour it slowly (stream about the size of a pencil) in front of a return jet. personal preference.

the information requested here will be very helpful: pool-school/read_before_you_post

you say your test goes up to 10 but are sure it doesn't only go to 5? there is a chlorine side and a bromine side. the bromine side will say 10. the water turns yellow when you test it right? if so, what you'll have to do is dilute your test with chlorine-free water (your tap water probably isn't) by a 1:4 ratio. I've never done it, but I suppose the easiest way would be to half the pool water, then half it again. then add the distilled water to the rest of the tube. this will make the 5ppm block actually 20ppm, but you're losing a lot of accuracy. if you could buy the fas-dpd by itself it would help a ton. http://www.tftestkits.net/index.php?act ... oductId=23

What he said. :goodjob: Use the TA test vial to mix the diluted pool water in the recommended ratios - I think the TA vial goes up to 40-45ml....right? Use 10ml of each, so 10ml pool water and 30 ml distilled, then cover it and invert it a couple times to mix the sample. Then pour the mixed solution into the comparator tube - it's about 7ml that fills the viewing tube.

- your test kit indeed only goes up to 5. So using this 3:1 ratio multiply the results by 4. It will lose accuracy but you can see if the chlorine level is up 20 (approx). When the chlorine is high the shade of yellow will be very dark, if not orange. If it's not then your chlorine is less than 5.

Also, this is only testing Total Chlorine, not Free Chlorine. So some of the color can be attributed to CC's, which you don't want.

This is one of the reasons we recommend and FAS-DPD test.

About another 4-5 182 oz jugs should raise you into the 24 area....Stock up!

Thank you both so much! I tested it again using your method (very clear directions I appreciate!) and it was at about 20. I added about another gallon of bleach. I will test again this evening and add more if needed. I also brushed and vaccuumed a little of the green in the deep end to waste. We got alot of rain over the past few days so if was a little full anyway. So, I guess I just wait now. I really want to order the FAS DPD but will have to wait till payday. I am very excited about this because I have only spent about $20 on bleach and the pool guys wanted me to buy a ******** saying I had mustard algea again (3 weeks after I just spent $100 to get rid of it). I will let you know how it is going tomorrow. Thanks again.

I have blue water!!! I am so impressed with this website I want to jump for joy! I tested it this morning and the total chlorine is still around 24?ish (used the diluted method so not totally sure). It is cloudy but no green! I know it said somewhere it will clear up over the next week. Now I am convinced and will be buying the FASDPD on Friday so I can confidently maintain my water with out the clueless pool store's help!

I cannot be sure that it didn't lose >1ppm chlorine overnight because it was off the charts last night. Do I continue to add bleach today or just let it fall to my target?

Also, at what TC ppm can we swim?

Thank you soooo much! Frustratedpoolmom you were right, another 5 bottles yesterday and today it is just beautiful!

Excellent!

Yes, it can take up to a week or so to clear once it's dead, it probably is, but just to be safe, I'd bring it back up to shock level tonight. If you let the FC drop during the day, you should be able to get a more accurate test this evening. I'd suggest waiting till 6-7pm ish, test, using a 50/50 dilution this time if you need to, try a straight test first. That way if you are at like 5, you can more accurately calculate how much bleach to go back up to 24.

Without an FAS-DPD test, we advise shocking until the water is clear. Often that requires more bleach than necessary, but without the FAS-DPD test you can't really confirm its dead. Clear water is a good sign it is, LOL. So break out that POP. :wink:

Good job. :goodjob:

Oh, you can safely swim up to shock level for your CYA.

I would not advise swimming in cloudy water, CC's may be present which would irritate and also from a safety standpoint, if there were any kids or someone under the water (on the bottom :shock: ) might not be seen....

So I tested it again tonight and it looked to be near 20 so I added 2 more big jugs to get to 24 again.

I have had my pump running for 3 days now. When can I go back to 12 hours a day?

Also, I saw a pool cleaning video on youtube where they said my jets should be pointed down and to the right for proper circulation. Is this true? If so, one of mine is pointed the wrong way.

Thank you Thank you

You point them to encourage the pool water to circulate; whether it circulates clockwise or counterclockwise doesn't really matter. Which direction the whirpool is turning doesn't really matter (mine point to the left, looking down on them from the side of the pool, for clockwise circulation).
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.