Help Calculating Volume (Odd Shape)

Aug 24, 2013
Okay I am ready to take this project on, and I am having a hard time due to sittings areas and angled corners. This pool has a circular sitting area on the shallow end with a curved bench, and another sitting area on the deep end.
7kJ4yDR.jpg

P1DGeRn.jpg

Df5iXcH.jpg

This is a schematic I made of the dimensions, I hope everyone is able to read it. Measurements written is black, circled, with "ft" inside are depths. The shallow end is 3' and the deep end is 5' with the sittings areas being 1' and 1.5' deep. The wall lengths are written in green along the sides. My thought was combining/merging some of these numbers? For instance the 2' long angled corners, should they be divided by 2 and then added to the adjoining wall lengths? For example: the deep end has a 12' long wall, so if I took 1' from each corner I could make the deep end 14' wide rather than 12' then add 1' to the 23' making that length 24' which squares off the corners. If I followed this method I would take the 20' length, and add 2', 3', and 1' of the corner for a total of 26' long. I thought about just rounding things too such as removing the deep end sitting area from the equation and just factoring that into the stairs by removing the volume consumed by the stairs themselves and making the stair corner just a 3' deep squared corner....I actually think I could use both the deep sitting area water volume added to the shallow sitting areas bench displacement and that would equal the stair displacment.
NdYhO3u.jpg

So if I measure from the two areas circled in red, I get a total of 26' so if I build off this theory I can add 1' of that corner to make a total of 27' from the deep end to the stairs right?
TD68F2B.jpg

Then if I am able to just calculate the volume of this deep end sitting area @ 1' deep I can take this volume, put it aside and add it back to my squared off pool volume right??
Df5iXcH.jpg

Mw8iZU2.jpg

I’ll guesstimate around 13,500 gallons.

Once you start using you own chems, you can adjust the volume to closer match your test results. If you always find that you are over shooting or undershooting your predicted amounts, adjust the pool volume to compensate for that. You should be able to see a trend.

I have been dosing based on 12,000G and it comes in short, responds much better to the calculator when dosed at 15,000G.

I was able to find the old owners records at a local pool store, and they had it calculated @ 13,500 so Teald024 takes the cake on this one.

I have been dosing based on 12,000G and it comes in short, responds much better to the calculator when dosed at 15,000G.

I was able to find the old owners records at a local pool store, and they had it calculated @ 13,500 so Teald024 takes the cake on this one.

:party: :whoot: :cheers:

If the 15k number gets you the anticipated results, then go with that and keep tweaking as needed.

Thank you man, within about a week I will make up my mind on what I want to list my pool volume as. Likely going to go with 15,000G

A little off topic but we have been having an issue here in FL the live oak trees are throwing off billions of seed pods that make it through the screen and all over the pool surface and stick to the walls of the pool. They make a surfactant that will allow all this to drop to the bottom and then vac it up but we use a robotic vac and it says with cartridge filters you need to vac to waste....which is a waste with the robot since it climbs walls and goes over the same spots multiple times. I do not have time to manually vac the bottom so we are now looking at floating skimmer boxes that attach to your vac port.

A little off topic but we have been having an issue here in FL the live oak trees are throwing off billions of seed pods that make it through the screen and all over the pool surface and stick to the walls of the pool. They make a surfactant that will allow all this to drop to the bottom and then vac it up but we use a robotic vac and it says with cartridge filters you need to vac to waste....which is a waste with the robot since it climbs walls and goes over the same spots multiple times. I do not have time to manually vac the bottom so we are now looking at floating skimmer boxes that attach to your vac port.

Is your pool skimmer(s) not able to handle the gunk? There are many here that use hairnets in the skimmers to keep the stuff out of the filter. They are disposable and could be cleaned regularly.
I would agree that your shouldn't use the pool potions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a single skimmer, with a sock in it. The sock fills instantly, even though it still has flow it can not keep up with the load and they end up stuck to the side walls.

The potion to make things sink could work with our robotic vac if we connected it to the skimmer basket and sock with a cap rather than the sidewall vac port.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.