Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Vacuum Relief

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Vacuum Relief

What is the purpose? Is it just to prevent freezing or does it in some way help prolong the life of the solar heating system?

I've noticed that it slowly introduces air into the system raising my PH which leads to having to add acid more frequently. It also causes me to have to run a slightly higher RPM on my pump when it runs for extended periods of time for good flow. Do I really need a vacuum relief in my solar heating system all the time or can I plug it off during the swim season?
    10k Gallon Gunite Pool/Spa Combo with Spillover Built in 2017, Pebbletec Finish, Pentair Intelliflo2 VS Pump, Pentair C&C 150 Filter, 294 sq ft Heliocol Solar Heat, SolarTouch Controller, Hayward HeatPro 110K BTU Heat Pump, GloBrite Lighting, Bubbler on Small Beach Area, S200 Robot, Stenner Chlorine Injection, TF-100 Test Kit with Magnetic Stirrer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Vacuum Relief

The vacuum relief is there so you don't collapse the solar panels. You need to run your pump at a high enough speed to close the valve on the relief for it to work properly. If it is constantly introducing air into the piping then you aren't putting enough water thru your panels or it was installed in the wrong spot.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help