FC testing question

Aug 6, 2009
Phila PA
Hi All,

I have just jumped into the pool game with the house I purchased this week. I'm fighting a green pool with the advice on this site. I purchased a FAS-DPD Service Test Kit today. I'm trying to shock the pool now, but how do I test for FC levels above 10ppm. The kit only seems to go to 10ppm. I guessing since you put in 5 drops of the reagents for the 1-10ppm range I should only put in 4 drops to get the 10-20ppm range. Someone please :hammer: if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the help

I might have misunderstood what you are explaining, but that doesn't sound like a FAS-DPD kit. Are you adding little scoops of powder as part of the FC test? With the FAS-DPD tests you keep adding drops until the solution turns clear. Therefore, it will read chlorine levels as high as you need to go.

I'm guessing you got a Taylor K-2005 instead of the K-2006. Don't feel bad. I made the same mistake in the very recent past. If you can't return the K-2005 kit, then you might want to just purchase the FAS-DPD test reagents seperately as refills. All of the other reagents (ph, TA, CH, CYA) in the Taylor kits are the same. You can buy the FAS-DPD test reagents here...

http://www.tftestkits.net/index.php?act ... oductId=19
http://www.tftestkits.net/index.php?act ... oductId=20
http://www.tftestkits.net/index.php?act ... roductId=9

yeah that's the DPD kit that leslie's usually has. they don't usually have the fas-dpd test. people do this all the time unfortunately.
I highly recommend you get the kit from http://www.tftestkits.net as it has what you need and is a much better value than the fas-dpd kit from leslie's. if you do get the fas-dpd kit from leslie's, I recommend you bring in a printed page of the product so they will match the online price which is lower than the store price. also be prepared to wait a week or two or three for it to arrive.
whoops I see Cleavitt set it straight.

Edited by TMQ... removed statement and subsequent posts that have gotten this thread WAY off topic.

Hoping to stay on topic and avoid the wrath of TMQ...
psteel6191 said:
The kit only seems to go to 10ppm. I guessing since you put in 5 drops of the reagents for the 1-10ppm range I should only put in 4 drops to get the 10-20ppm range.
So, this is the kit where you put in drops of stuff and it turns pink/red then you compare to color blocks to get your reading, yes? And each color block has two numbers, and the second one is double the other one?

If you look at the top of that column of color blocks, you should see a notation something like "Cl Br". That means the first number on each block is for Chlorine, the second is for Bromine. That means the kit actually tops out at FC 5, not 10. (You almost certainly don't have bromine in your pool; it's usually used only for indoor pools and for spas.)

With that kit, the only way to measure > 5 is to dilute your sample first, which reduces the accuracy of the test. The FAS-DPD test everybody keeps talking about works a different way and it can measure up to FC 50 with no dilution. That's why we're all infatuated with it.
--paulr

Okay I returned the kits and order a new one from the pool school section. I hope is arives soon because my pool is a mess. I had it test at the pool store a day ago and this is what I got. The has been a green mess and I have been trying to shock it with Cal Hypo 73%. I started with 32oz wensday night and no luck. Last night I did 48oz and still change at all. I have also been brushing when I add the Cal Hypo. Any ideas for what I should do till my test kit comes?

FC: 5
PH: 7.6
TA: 90
CYA: 25

You should continue to shock. Is there a reason you are using Cal-Hypo as opposed to bleach?

Have you read How to Shock your Pool?
Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator?

I would shock the pool with bleach, using the Pool calculator to determine how much to add. Refer to the CYA chart for the appropriate shock level.

Any ideas for what I should do till my test kit comes?

1. I would add a large jug of Clorox each evening to your pool. It won't cure your problem, but there is a very good chance it will help it a little 'til your kit gets to you on Tuesday or thereabouts.......The clorox will be a very cheap way of holding the algae at bay until you can attack it with your kit and bleach.

2. Read How to Shock Your Pool up in Pool School. You will find it is a process that will last perhaps a few days. A one time addition of Cal hypo is not shocking.

3. You may be aqble to use up the rest of your cal hypo (post test results first) but be prepared to shock your pool with bleach...........more of it than you can imagine. Everyone is stunned by how much bleach a crudy pool will consume but that is what you will have to do. Likewise, most everyone is stunned at how crystal clear their pool looks when the are fininshed with the process.

Do all the tests when you get your kit and post up the results. Have plenty of Clorox on hand and be prepared to dose your pool very accurately but at very high levels of chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have bee using the Cal Hyo because the pool store got me to buy it. With out the kit I don't really know my FC so I can't really calc how much bleech to add. I have FC left from the home sellers but they only register up to 10 ppm. And I doubt they are acurite. Do you think I should try a different pool store and see if they come back with the same CYA? I have a feeling that its not 25. Also should I see any progress overnite if I'm doing a good shock or does it take more time to notice any clearing up?

If you are shocking appropriately you should see gradual improvement daily, sometimes overnight. I would use the strips for a guestimate, and have the CYA tested at another store if you are in doubt.

How much Cal-Hypo do you have left? Do you know your current CH levels?

It has a long shelf life, and its good to have on hand when you need a large bump unexpectedly. You can always save it for later, if you have alot you can try and return it. Bleach is probably cheaper, if you have a Wal-mart or Aldi by you they have the best prices for 6%.

48 oz should have been shock level if your CYA is really 25. The problem is a lot of times organics consume the chlorine within the hour of adding it, which is why we advise to test as often as hourly and bump the chlorine back up if it's fallen below shock. You could try to use the strips to guestimate until the kit comes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.