Raypak Spa-Pak element keeps going bad

Aug 6, 2016
Columbia
I replaced the element in a Raypak Spa-Pak 1102 about a month ago but know it has failed again. It did fine at first but eventually one of the power lines going to the element gets extremely hot. I wouldn't think it would be a water balance issue in such a short time. PH has been around 7.2-7.6, alkalinity is fine. Chlorine may have been a little high for a while because it had been covered and not really used since adding chlorine. I don't want to spend money on a new element if its just gonna happen again in another month.

Power supply issues can certainly pose a problem. Are the wires getting hot?

Do you have enough water flow? Still water will form an insulating layer around the elements, so they can get a bit hotter than what they’re rated for. You may want to be sure that the pump operation is normal when calling for heat. Typically there will be a flow control device to help prevent this issue, but if that safety control is malfunctioning, you will likely have to wait until the high limit trips. Just a thought...

I would start with a power supply check like “kimkats” suggests.

The spa maintains temperature perfectly, never overheats. Only gets power to element when thermostat calls for it. Pressure seems to be good and heat shuts off as soon as pump is turned off. Both sides of the element show the same voltage when heating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.