Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ryobi Underwater Stick Vacuum...anyone try it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ryobi Underwater Stick Vacuum...anyone try it?

I must be Ryobi's prime target customer...I can't resist buying every ONE+ tool they have. Just when I think my collection was completed this Christmas, they release something pool related!

I totally don't need this, especially with a Dolphin S300i purchase imminent. But there is always that corner in my pool by the steps with a few specs of dirt...

Anyone with feedback on this?

Home Depot Link

ryobi-pool-vacuums-p3500k-64_1000.jpg
    25k old school pool - new plaster and tile Dec 2017 -> Jandy FHPM1.5-2 -> Tagelus 60 -> CompuPool CPSC48 -> Raypak Heater -> RIP: Polaris 380 w/ booster pump - New Cleaner: S300i Mar 2018 -> TF-100 with many refills

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ryobi Underwater Stick Vacuum...anyone try it?

The PoolBlaster has been around longer. I think most people that get them, like them but I don’t think they last very long because their use is so intermittent. The battery then dies quickly because of lack of use and then it goes in the discarded “toy” pile.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I was looking at getting a Volt, but now I see this? Darn it.

Having replaceable batteries is a huge plus, especially ones as ubiquitous as the ONE+ which I already have a small collection. The Volt FX-8Li looks to be a bigger and more capable unit, and the option of finer filter bags is a nice plus, but the sealed internal battery is a drawback. Aside of the "dead battery = trash unit" issue, being able to switch them out on the fly and extend vacuuming time is something that would come in handy for my use. Looks like it even has room for a 4 Ah pack so you can get something like 2 hours of continuous use, for getting every single speck of dust.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I sell the Volt series at my retail store. The FX-8Li is a good unit in my opinion if you can afford it.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't have the Ryobi so I can not comment.
    What I will say is all the lawn tools that I have used that have replaceable batteries have not done well for me, and this is close to one of them, earthwise, black/decker, my opinion are junk.
    I have had the pool blaster maxx for about 4 years and it worked good, not great, but good.
    Even with the ultra fine bag it it let a lot of fine stuff bypass and go back into pool which showed up a few hours later.
    Always laid everything out , apart in the sun to dry out but eventually interior battery area started to rust, took it all apart and threw it all away and ordered a new sealed lithium battery set up from them at the end of last swimming season.
    Runs faster, more suction and battery charger a little more battery friendly as to not keep charging.
    I would pass on that unit as I feel it will run about 40 minutes and die, very slowly.
    I tried to look up type of battery it uses.
    If not L,Ion it will run but very slowly at the end of cycle forever and not pick anything up.Same as pool blaster without Ion batt.
    Doughboy AG 16' x 32' oval, 13,700 gal.
    AquaView by Doughboy 150lb sand filter model 0-1709-20
    PowerLine pump by Doughboy model 0-3047-200, 1.5hp-single speed-20amp
    Gulfstream electric heater-HE125-R-A
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by rajung View Post
    If not L,Ion it will run but very slowly at the end of cycle forever and not pick anything up.Same as pool blaster without Ion batt.
    ONE+ batteries are LiIon, not NiCad.

Since I can't pass up a chance to promote Big Clive, here is a teardown of one of the batteries: A look inside a Ryobi 1.3Ah 18V lithium battery pack. - YouTube
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

7. Back To Top    #7

This thing doesn't have a filter bag or FINE filter bag-----just a screen? The Pool Blaster Max does a fine job for me using the fine silt bag inside the original one.,
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    ONE+ batteries are LiIon, not NiCad.

Since I can't pass up a chance to promote Big Clive, here is a teardown of one of the batteries: A look inside a Ryobi 1.3Ah 18V lithium battery pack. - YouTube
    Great video!!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates