cant find any one to install a used pool heater and new chlorinator in Houston

Feb 6, 2017
houston, TX
So I went on CL and bought myself a rheem r407A used...the guy filled in his pool and had it in his garage and a chlorinator Circupool RJ plus, he had it new in the box and he never used it. Had plans to convert to salt but never happened.

I got so far about 2 quotes and 2 flat "no's"

first quote is $700, he said he needs to re plumb everything, second quote $1500.....2 reputable pool business said no, because its used they dont want to mess with it. the biggest fear from these guys is "does it work"

what do you guys think i should do....or any recommendations?

i,

If the $700 includes the plumbing and electrical work, then I think that the $700 bid is not too bad...

If I were in the pool business, I too would be seeing all kinds of red flags... If the units were bad, I'd first have to double check all my work, just to prove to myself, that the units were bad. Then I would have to try and convince you that the units were bad. Even if they initially worked, and then failed, I suspect that I would be blamed for that too.. :p

I have bought a lot of stuff off of Craig's list, and have had really good luck... but, I never buy anything that I do not have the time, or skills, to install or troubleshoot...

Other than paying to have it done... I would try to find a friend, with the right skills, who might be able to help you get it installed...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I understand your pain! We don't have but one pool service company where I live and another that is an hour away....the first company never showed up for the appointment....the 2nd came but they charged me travel time of 150 per hour each way! Also, the guy was a pretty crappy plumber and we had leaks after he left....he said he would have to come back to install the pump we bought from a pool supply...or what reason i don't know...he didn't come back and after a couple weeks we just dug in and installed it ourselves...it took several attempts to get it in right but we did it

I understand your pain! We don't have but one pool service company where I live and another that is an hour away....the first company never showed up for the appointment....the 2nd came but they charged me travel time of 150 per hour each way! Also, the guy was a pretty crappy plumber and we had leaks after he left....he said he would have to come back to install the pump we bought from a pool supply...or what reason i don't know...he didn't come back and after a couple weeks we just dug in and installed it ourselves...it took several attempts to get it in right but we did it
I got 2 more guys coming..... I can diy this bad boy for sure but I'm just so lazy....

I got 2 more guys coming..... I can diy this bad boy for sure but I'm just so lazy....
You're probably going to have to hover over the job to make sure it gets done right anyway...at least that's what I'm having to do and there's still issues popping up (I just started a thread on a few of them). I'm doing roughly half the work at this point but I guess at least it's being done the way I want it done and the guy is willing to correct things I point out.

Ideal world, I wouldn't have to do that but that's not where I'm at right now. I'm going to be out around $1K when it's all said and done but if you look at the before and after shots it's money well spent. I can say this with certainty since we've owned the home since October: if I hadn't paid a guy to come trench up the old pipes I don't know when or if I'd ever gotten around to it.

What's a fair price to you? Ask the guy if you help out if he'd do it for $500 or whatever. The guy I got out at my house knocked a couple hundred off for me helping--but he probably should have charged more instead of giving a discount :lol:

Perhaps you can go to your local hardware store/ Lowes/ Home Depot and ask them for recommendations. Also we get a magazine called Mint and Money that has businesses advertising. Last you can search for electricians on Craigs List. I always ask my friends and coworkers for references first. Hope this helps.

Your best bet is to find a laborer, and direct him to do the manual work. If you don’t have the know-how, then you should not have bought used and expected a legitimate contractor to install used equipment that they will have the liability to install, yet not make a profit on.
BTW, straight labor is not profit in the business world. The issue here is, there’s an appliance that can literally burn down your home if faulty, improperly modified by the previous owner, or not installed properly. Who is going to take the blame?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.