Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to fix stamped concrete deck...

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to fix stamped concrete deck...

We had our fence re-stained this past year, and the contractor got over-spray all over our stamped concrete pool deck. They attempted to use some mild cleaner on is and in the process stripped out some of the color. So, now I'm left with having to fix the mess and need some guidance. The deck has been in 4 years and not sealed. I sealed it 2 years ago with Deck O Shield, but I think that has pretty much worn off by now.

My first question (of many, I'm sure), is should I stain the concrete first then seal, or use a sealer that I can tint? Truthfully, for the most part the deck color looks fine, it's just in a few areas where the color is 'thin' looking (the grey of the concrete is showing through).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to fix stamped concrete deck...

They say a picture is worth 1000 words. I think this would be a good case for this. Take and share a pic or two so we can really see what you are dealing with.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Here are a couple of pics. In two of them you can see what I'm talking about - where the color has pretty much disappeared.

20180225_141310.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay I have been thinking on this and asked they hubby what his thoughts were...........we both worry about trying to stain just those areas. The old color has been in the sun for 4 yrs so will be a lot lighter than the new stain.

Here is our thought--------a light acid wash of the whole area. Rinse it real well and see what you have once it drys. That might even out the color all over. You can then restain or do the sealer with dye in it but I don't really like that idea as I worry it might flake or wear off as sealer does.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Your best bet contact someone who does a lot of stamped stained concrete and ask for their advice. You could end up doing more damage than good just blindly trying something.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics