new plaster unknown streaks? pics

May 11, 2009
After the pb replastered my pool, I have these bright white faded streaks which I have noticed only when there is shade over the pool. Direct sunlight hard to see. It starts from the center of the shallow end and run to part of the deep end and stop...as if someone spilled a bucket of paint. No where else on the pool does it have the same streaks. I have let the ph get to 8.2 for a day and quickly added acid

If its scale, How quickly will scale form and will it feel rough? Also, why is it only in the center of the pool and not around the sides as I recall having scale a long time ago??

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• AIMG_0684.JPG
    AIMG_0684.JPG
    414.1 KB · Views: 240
From your description and the picture those streaks might be places where acid ran down towards the drain when they were acid washing the finish, assuming they did in fact acid wash the finish. Some minor streaking is unavoidable when acid washing. This looks a little worse than usual, but not dramatically bad.

There isn't any way to be sure what it is from the picture. If it is calcium scale it will be rough to the touch, while acid wash streaks will be smooth.

How new is the plaster job? It is not uncommon to see some mottling in new plaster. Often it's just the calcium hydroxide leaching out. What has the plasterer said about it?

After a a long poor customer service, they sent a guy that handles warranties and he said he doesnt know what it is. He thinks it might be dust or something that got on it. This streak is very smooth as it it was just part of the plaster...just a little whiter
I will ask them if they acid wash the plaster. Are they supposed to acid wash it? they said they are going to come in and sand it or something and im not sure if sanding will actually help it if it is in fact an acid streak.

Actually the picture hides the annoyance a lot more than in person. In the sunlight it is unnoticeable, but when its gloomy or shady its very annoying unappealing to the eyes as if someone spilled bright white paint along the floor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.