pool and spa chemicals

bof

May 17, 2013
Cyprus
Hi everyone
Can anyone please explain to me if the chemicals for a pool can be used in a hot tub, I am getting conflicting advice. I am especially interested in the Ph increaser as I ran out of spa chemical and used the pool supply.

thanks

With the exception of something specifically used for a spas (i.e. ahh-some), or if you chlorinate your spa with bromine, then yes. Regular bleach (chlorine), baking soda, soda ash, muriatic acid, etc, all the items in the TFP Recommended Chemicals page (link below) are the same.

You might also want to review the Spa Sticky as well for any spa-specific tips:
How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)
How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?)

By the way, PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Hope that's what you were looking for.

Yes, unfortunately putting the same chemicals in bottles labeled differently is a bit of a dirty habit in the pool industry. All pH increaser is sodium carbonate, the same stuff you can find in the laundry aisle as washing soda. It increases both pH and TA. But walk through a pool story and look at the different options: For Pools, For Salt Pools, For Spas. Each the same chemical, sold by the same person, but at a different price per ounce. At least the spa ones have the excuse of being sold in smaller, "more convenient" bottles. The ones specifically for salt pools are the real rip off.

So yes, no problem using the pool one. When you need more you might look for washing soda at the store and just refill the containers you already have.

This is all I've ever added, or all I'll ever need to maintain the water in my spa!

Generated from my Motorola Z2 using tools.rackonly.com

From left to right:
  • Baking soda to raise TA, $1 (only if I undershoot with too much acid on first fill).
  • Dichlor to add CYA, only used for first week or so of new fill, $20.
  • Walmart bleach for chlorine, $2.50.
  • Muriatic acid to lower TA/pH, $6. Available at any home improvement store.
  • Taylor K2006 + Speedstir, approx $100.

As you can see, the dichlor was more expensive than the rest of the chemicals combined, and the only thing that's pool or spa branded. For my spa, it'll last years because I only need a tiny fraction of the container to get my CYA to 30 ppm. The cost of other stuff is negligible. I spent way more on the test kit and Speedstir than I have on chemicals, and will continue to spend more on the test kit for refills than I will ever spend on chemicals!

This is awesome! Before I found TPF (luckily before I got my spa), the websites I was reading said I needed to buy like 10 different chemicals all at like $10-20/bottle. And it turns out all I need is 4 chemicals and a good test kit, 3 of which aren't even pool specific so they are dirt cheap.

Only thing not in the picture is borax, which was an additional $2 but it's not necessary to maintain great water.

Short answer, as the others have said, is yes to your question. Follow up is to read up some of the links posted in the replies and stop buying the expensive chemicals in the first place. :D

What a great testimonial to the success of following TFPC!

As a reminder - this forum is run by volunteers and as you see, there is NO advertising. So the cost of web hosting, server storage, etc is paid for by the generosity of our members.

Consider supporting the forum. See CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

Another option is to use AmazonSmile anytime you order anything through Amazon. Select TroubleFreePool as your charity. If you do that, TFP receives 0.5% of the eligible purchase amounts.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.