Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Warning TFP: Walmart concentrated bleach is now 6%!

1. Back To Top    #1

Warning TFP: Walmart concentrated bleach is now 6%!

Saw this today at walmart:

bleach.jpg

They still had a few old ones mixed in with date codes from January, but the newest ones had the 6% label. It had a different UPC number than the 6% cleaning bleach, and was different than the old 8.25% bleach.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Warning TFP: Walmart concentrated bleach is now 6%!

Welcome to TFP! Thanks for the intel.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, the Great Value brand is down to 6% for the concentrated,
    so I looked, and the Clorox brand has dropped to 6% as well.
    Has anyone heard why this is?

20180228.jpg
    ~30000gal 20'x40' IG vinyl
    Hayward S-240 Sand Filter
    Hayward 1HP Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

My Dallas-area Walmart is still stocking fresh 8.25% Great Value.
    26K gal, in-ground, spa, Wet Edge Satin pebble, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050, Whisperflo 1.5HP, Clean and Clear Plus 520, MasterTemp 400, EasyTouch PS-4 and ScreenLogic 2, GloBrite LEDs, DeltaUV D-20, Paramount Clear O3 and PV3, completed July 2014, TF-100, full sun, city water

5. Back To Top    #5

Target brand was still at 8.25% last I checked.

Please help us keep track of this by filling out the survey in this thread -

2018 Bleach Prices
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

typical grocery shrink ray stuff - same price for smaller bag or more air or in this case more water
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure 1400 SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

7. Back To Top    #7

Haha, grocery store shrink ray....funny.

Clorox introduced a "new" product line called CloroMax Technology. As best as I can tell, they've added an additional metal sequestrant to the formulation to better control trace metals (iron and nickel mainly) that are the main source of bleach decomposition. Better trace metal control allows them to reduce the concentration and have the bleach last longer as well as improve yellow-staining that occurs with higher strength bleach. Problem is, for pools, no one wants the extra "chemicals" in their water (although they'd probably have no effect) AND they lowered the concentration without any significant change in price. At my local Costco, Clorox 8.25% used to sell as a 3-pack for about $9.99. It's now CloroMax (6%) in a 3-pack and it sells for $9.49. So that's a 27% reduction in bleach concentration for a 5% reduction in price....it was already an expensive form of bleach to purchase and now it's even worse!

Hopefully Walmart and Target will not follow suit but I doubt it.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates