Impact Hole in Acrylic/Fiberglass Steps

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
A friend of mine recently pointed out to me a small "punch-hole" as I like to describe it on the upper corner of our acrylic step. I spoke with someone at the manuf, sent her pictures, she sent it to QA and told me it is not a warranty issue b/c it was done by impact. Most likely it was done by our landscaper's crew who had to replace a cracked piece of coping and either missed with the chisel or it was too clean of a break. Whichever doesn't matter. We brought it to his attention and he said he will repair it for us rather than him paying the guy to come and do it. The landscaper himself does very meticulous work so we have confidence that he can do it for us. It is unfortunate that he was not the one doing the actual replacement or it never would have happened.

So my question is, I did a quick search on the internet and found an epoxy called AquaMend. Is this what we should buy?

http://www.polymericsystems.com/epoxies ... uamend.htm

Also, will I need to buy any type of epoxy paint to cover the putty/epoxy afterwards or just file it smooth?

Thx.

I've had very good luck with Aquamend. I had a customer once drain a fiberglass pool (he had no idea the damage he could cause). Yes, cringe the ground water did put tremendous strain on the pool. The deck was so thick and heavy that it didn't heave, but the bottom actually cracked to relieve the pressure. It was an 18" crack on the deep end bottom. After putting enough water in the pool to equalize the pressure, I patched the crack with aquamend and it's still holding strong.

These puddy do a awesome job but the surface has to be dry. you need to leave it cure for 1hr then test it for micro leaks but if you do use this the surface needs to be dry for it to stick right.If you do have it drained past the hole its easy Very easy to use fiber glass .It come in a can with liquid and hardener and buy fiber glass matting.

Thanks everyone. The "punch hole" is only about 1/2"-1" in diameter. It is above the water line so no need to drain the pool at all.

The step has a little bit of texture to it plus from what I understand the Aquamend dries an off-white color and the steps are a pure white.

What kind of paint or spray can I use to finish the process?

Thanks again.

Aquamend does dry off white and will stick out against the pure white steps. Tnemec pool epoxy pool paint works well, unfortunately I believe it only comes in gallons and you need about one thimble full.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.