plastic striping between deck and tile

norcalpool1

Silver Supporter
Sep 16, 2017
Silicon Valley,CA
New pool owner, inherited from the house I bought. I noticed plastic striping under the deck, between the tiles and the deck. I am told that the concrete deck is sitting ON the tiles. When resurfacing/re-tiling the pool, the concrete deck is going to stay as is. Does one have to do do anything for this plastic striping or whatever is behind it? I am reading that there is a compound/glue/mastic between the deck and the tiles that helps the two layers to expand/contract at different rates - otherwise the tiles could break. The tiles are indeed broken now at several places in the pool. During the resurfacing project, should I ask explicitly for this mastic work be done?

The youtube videos I have seen so far are about applying this sort of compound between the coping and the deck. In my pool however, there is no coping. The deck slightly overhangs and is on the tiles (with only this plastic stripe that you can see).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.