Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Died

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Died

My pump had died. It was on hospice for two year so I have been planning for this day. I wanted to check with others to see if my new pump selection is appropriate? My new pump selection is based on the assumption that my original pump was sized correctly. The deceased pump is a 10 year old Hayward Tri-Star. My new pump selection is a Hayward Tri-Star Variable Speed. I decided to go this route because they share the same foot print thus I will have no plumbing modifications.

Original Equipment:
    Pump: Hayward Tri-Star SP3210EE, 1frhp x 1.85sf = 1.85bhp
    Suction side pressure: 8
    Pressure side pressure: 13
    Flow rate: 70gpm
    Friction loss: 65gpm/37tdh, 50gpm/23tdh, 40gpm/14tdh, 30gpm/9tdh, 20gpm/5tdh

New Equipment:
    Pump: Hayward Tri-Star VS SP3202VSP, 1.85thp

Thanks
    Jason
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Died

Hi Jason,
    the VS pump you're considering will be just fine however, in case you aren't aware, I'll mention it.
    My comment will impact your up front budget for your consideration, but... here goes anyway.

When it comes to VS pumps, the bigger VS pump you have, the less energy (=$) it will take to move x amount of water as a smaller pump will. Because the impeller is bigger and the motor more powerful, you can dial down the speed immensely and use way less electricity than you can with a considerably smaller pump.

I have a 3 HP VS pump, it runs 247 at 1200 RPM and at that speed, only uses about 186 watts of electricity and costs me about 20$ a month at 14 cents per KWH electric rate.

If you replace your 1 HP with a 1.85, you'll realize a cost saving on electricity to move the same amount of water, but not nearly as much savings as if you went with a larger VS pump. Depending on your electricity rate, and how often you run your pump, you might over time, save even more money going bigger.

I hope this helps,
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!