Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool equipmet repacement - powering a SWCG

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool equipmet repacement - powering a SWCG

I'm in the process of planning a remodel of my IG 39x18 gunite pool. The quotes I'm getting from the pool companies to just replace the equipment are close to $5K . This is excessive as I can buy the equipment for about $2k. I'm going to replace all of the equipment myself (I've done it before). This will be a simple set up as there are no water features to deal with and no pressure type cleaner. There will be no pool automation system (I still have roll up windows in my truck). I'm going to go with a Pentair SuperFlo VS pump. I understand with this pump I no longer need a timer as the pump provides this feature. I want to install a IntelliChlor IC60.

My question is what is the preferred method for wiring the power source so the SWCG doesn't have power when the pump isn't running?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool equipmet repacement - powering a SWCG

Welcome to the forum!

Without automation you will need a timer for the SWCG. It will need to be set to only be powered on when the pump is.

With a basic system, there are better SWCG's for the DIY homeowner than Pentair. You only get a 60 day warranty from Pentair if DIY. I would suggest looking at a Circupool SWCG. Better warranty and more chlorine generation per day for the money.

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

F,

I agree with Marty...

I am a diehard Pentair kind of guy, but without automation, the IC60 does not make as much sense to own..

I too would recommend a CircuPool SWCG... the bigger the better...

The Pentair SuperFlo VS is a great pump.. It gets wired to continuous AC power, and as you stated, has an internal controller that allows you to program it to come on and off at scheduled times and speeds...

An external timer for the SWCG is the simplest way to control the SWCG's power..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice