New to FL, longtime spa owner & pool newbie

Feb 23, 2018
FLORIDA
Hi all,
just looking around & gathering knowledge and info. I’ve owned spas for over 10 years and use the frog system to keep it balanced and working well. Easy to use and keep balanced.

For the pool pool we just got a new house that has a pool & it’s heated! ;-D I’ve never owned a pool but everyone tells me if I can manage a spa then the pool is no problem. Right now we have a pool guy. Amazingly the person we bought our house from paid the pool service for the next 6 months so we’re kerping it for now. ;-)

ok off to lurk around and do some research & learning. First up Chemical Pool Covers...

FLORIDA in the house! Hi! You are going to LOVE TFP for pool and spa care! Much easier on the wallet!

Is that your pool in your adv. pic? It does not look like it is small or above ground! I would love to see some more pics of it!

chemical pool covers+FL = not good :( The wind in FL keeps them from working. All it takes is a ripple of wind and the cover is "broken".

Kim:kim:

New to FL, longtime spa owner & pool newbie

Hi Kim & Texas.

Yes that is a picture of our pool. And yes you are correct is an in-ground pool!!!! I have No clue why I typed above ground when I set up my account signature, but I had just woke up & no coffee. Lol!!

It looks bigger in the pics. Keep in mind those are 2 lounge chairs. Here are a few pics.

I’ll take some measurements and upgrade my signature info in a bit. Off to make coffee.

Yeah, I concluded the chem cover is lworthless. I run the pump during the day from 7:30 to 5 & heater is set up to same timer. Not sure how much it’ll cost to keep the heater running but may have to try it out and see. :-D

6f1603d3505e34a142605fd5f687447d.jpg
1ce11801865f2e5be1539c9166a38709.jpg
21d04ca95b06f3bcf92af9bcdb211282.jpg

Oh that is pretty!! I love everything about it!!!

Lets get your started on the right track. Here is a link to help you learn our language:

TFPC for Beginners

Some question to help us help you:

-how do you add FC at this time? pucks/tablets, liquid chlorine, SWG, ???? Share a pic of your equipment pad if you are not sure and we might be able to tell from that.

-Who is caring for the pool at this time?

-How are you/they testing the water?

This should keep you busy for a few mins. while the coffee kicks in LOL

Hi Kim,
Thanks for the info link. I’ll look it over.

The pool co. is Patriotic Pools here is Port Saint Lucie. It’s owned by a local guy who as it turns out lives in my area of town. He’s good & knows his stuff. He’s been in the business 30 years & seems honest as well which is good.

They test using a test kit with drops (color kit). His guy comes weekly and checks everything, vacuums, clears the basket, adds chemicals if needed.

They use liquid chlorine.

I just started looking into Salt Water Chlorine Generator. Any advise is welcomed.

My pump is quite a few years old and is quite corroded. It’s likely up in the next year or two and I’ll probably go to a variable speed pump so I can run longer and kick up to high for cycle turnover and/or when the heater know kicks on.

I am glad they are testing the water before adding anything to it. That is good. Now to the bad news (sorry).

With a pool it is VERY important to add FC (free chlorine) each day. Weekly testing and adding does not do that. Now the SWG (salt water generator) would be purrfect! There are many out there. Here is our thinking on sizing them.............get one that is rated at twice the size of your pool. There are many reason for this:

-shorter pump run time because it will produce more chlorine-saves on power bill!

-longer cell life as it will not have to be run as much each day

There is a search box at the top of the page. It leads to only TFP links so helps narrow down the topic. Do a search to find the different kinds. I will also share a link about SWG in general:

Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators