Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool decking ideas for Florida.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool decking ideas for Florida.

Need some ideas other than thin pavers for the pool and lanai area of my pool deck. Currently total area is 1750sqft and Sundek painted over concrete. Looks like knock down finish.

Anything other than travertine perhaps ? Looking at primarily tile type options., Looking at tiles than can resist chorine and remain relatively cool in the FL sunshine. Perhaps slate ?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool decking ideas for Florida.

What I would do is go to a stone yard and see what your eyes like THEN put them down on the ground and let the sun warm them up. See what your feet like that way. Go from there.

So why do you want to cover up your current decking?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    What I would do is go to a stone yard and see what your eyes like THEN put them down on the ground and let the sun warm them up. See what your feet like that way. Go from there.

So why do you want to cover up your current decking?

Kim
    Hi ,

I've got one large piece of travertine to test so far. But when I was at Stone and tile center yesterday there was many choices which led me to ask what others perhaps use for Florida ( heat ) pool decking.

Slate looked good to me, it was also much cheaper per sq ft as but curious about it's longetivity.

Reason for covering is primarily looks as I don't like the knock down Sundek painted finish currently. Also some minor cracks where there used to be planters either side of the pool
    Tiler believes with additives in thinset etc the cracks won't transfer into tiles in those areas.

4. Back To Top    #4

Longevity=how well the area is prepped as it true for so many things in construction. How will they level out the slight bumps and such on the old deck to ensure the new stuff lays flat?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Kim, appreciate your comments and concerns. I was merely wanting to know what other stones or tiles can be chemical resistant and relatively cool in the sunshine. The tiler is someone I know of and his past work. So leveling etc isn't the issue.

6. Back To Top    #6

Got ya! Okay so from what I have heard flagstone can be flaky so make sure to check the stock to make sure it is not one of the really flaky sets. Soap stone, while pretty, is a fairly "soft" stone so not as good around high traffic areas as pools. Other than than you are good to go with what ever catches your eye!

Kim

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Got ya! Okay so from what I have heard flagstone can be flaky so make sure to check the stock to make sure it is not one of the really flaky sets. Soap stone, while pretty, is a fairly "soft" stone so not as good around high traffic areas as pools. Other than than you are good to go with what ever catches your eye!

Kim
    With flagstone can you please elaborate a little more. Are you referring to the flagstone company or type of stone ? My short list so far in design and products are, wood look tile decking or slate. I'm kinda going off travertine to be honest.

8. Back To Top    #8

flagstone the stone. It can be flaky as in layers can flake off but it is very pretty and has great colors.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Need some ideas other than thin pavers for the pool and lanai area of my pool deck. Currently total area is 1750sqft and Sundek painted over concrete. Looks like knock down finish.

Anything other than travertine perhaps ? Looking at primarily tile type options., Looking at tiles than can resist chorine and remain relatively cool in the FL sunshine. Perhaps slate ?
    Hi I really think that thin pavers would be you best bet as to durability and longevity, besides with pavers you don't have to worry about cracking. We have thin pavers over an existing concrete pad and love the fact that everything matches. Look at our pool build in the sig bar
    Our summer kitchen is made of slate and it is very soft and flakes easily.
    Tile would be way too slippery when wet. Just my opinion
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade