Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AquaCal heat pump

1. Back To Top    #1

AquaCal heat pump

The designer fr pool company said the heat pump I'm getting is a AquaCal 132k.

What does 132k means and if this machine is sufficient enough to be compatible with my pool size?
    Completed May/2018 l 17 x 33 IG -Chlorine l 15,500 gal city water l Pebble/Plaster l Jandy 1.5HP FloPro 2- speed pump l Jandy cartidge filter 460 l In-ground chlorinator l AquaCal 132k BTU heat pump l K-2006 test kit w/ speedstir l Dolphin M400 robotic

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AquaCal heat pump

132 k means 132,000 btu per hour.

It's ok to extend the season or to maintain a warmer water temperature.

It's not good for fast heating on demand or for really cold weather.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks JamesW.
    Completed May/2018 l 17 x 33 IG -Chlorine l 15,500 gal city water l Pebble/Plaster l Jandy 1.5HP FloPro 2- speed pump l Jandy cartidge filter 460 l In-ground chlorinator l AquaCal 132k BTU heat pump l K-2006 test kit w/ speedstir l Dolphin M400 robotic

4. Back To Top    #4

With it having 132k btu, is that okay for a 17 x 33 pool? I see some people having gas heaters with 400k btu and makes me wonder if mine is puny

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool isn't much larger (at least based on the size you have in your sig) and I have an AquaComfort 75k BTU heat-pump. A heat pump is meant to provide an on-going slow amount of heat and run for a longer time. Versus a gas heater which I would say delivers more heat in a shorter period of time. I could have gone bigger on BTU's but mine is sufficient in conjunction with a pool cover to maintain the pool water temp during the beginning or end of season or help in the early mornings bring it up a few degrees so thats its nice by the afternoon to get into. I'd try to understand a bit better how heat pumps work. But given your in TX seems reasonable to me. If trying to make a big jump in temps over a short time period a heat pump won't do that.
    18x30 Freeform In-ground Vinyl Lined. 11,500 gallons.
    4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains.
    Hayward TriStar 1hp 2-Speed Pump. Hayward S244T Filter.Hayward Goldline Panel + SWG.
    Polaris 280 cleaner. AquaComfort 75k BTU Heatpump
    TF-100