Pump distance

Jun 14, 2017
Florida
Hey everyone,

I currently have my pool pump/filter (SandPro 50D 1/2HP) right next to my "intex-typ" pool.
We would like to move the setup more towards the outlet to eliminate the power cord extensions for pump/swgs and rather do longer plumbing.
I know it's a little pump but do you think it could do about 20 to 30ft from the pool with hard plumbing?
Pump would be slightly higher than the ground the pool stands on but still well below water line/intake.
We will also add SWGs soon (thinking about the Intex SWGs)
What size pipe should I use? 2inch?

Thanks everyone!

Thank you.
I understand what you mean. With our well pump I had so much more info but this pump just has the bare minimum of information. Ok so looking at the pump itself again
it says hmax 32.8ft. I used a pentair calculator and the result was a little under 12 is needed. So I guess I will be just fine?
*overthinking*:cool:

What is the current filter pressure?

The max head is with zero flow rate (i.e. dead head).

The flow rate will decrease with more pipe and fittings but without a head curve, it is difficult to say how much.

It's gonna depend of the filter pressure. You can do 14 psi max (32.7 ft hd) so if your filter pressure is around 7 that leaves around 14 ft hd for the pipes. So you should have flow, if only those pumps had a actual chart.

Could rig up a valve and see how much flow you get at 13 psi before you do the pipes

Thanks everyone, I have searched my behind off and can't find anymore information about the pump we have. We marked all spots and it will be 16 to 16.5 ft from pump to pool.
We decided to go ahead and try and if not we rather get another pump than sacrificing the locations we want.

Now here is my follow up question. I think this should work but here it goes. The SandPro 50D comes with a 50lbs sand filter and the said pump. Which nicely hooks into each other (for what it's worth:rolleyes:). Can I buy a new pump (let's say a hayward or harris 1.5hp) and keep using the 50lbs filter? Is there a relation I need to stick to between pump and filter size? :confused:
I would go with a 1.5hp since we plan to go with a bigger pool one day.
Thanks !

You will want to stay around 1/2 - 3/4 hp with that filter. It should have a rating on it for gpm and psi. Most likely your pump is a cheap China one with little head, a name brand pump with equal to does a lot better in the head department.

You just need to make sure you aren't going to exceed the filter's maximum flow rate too much or you could run into issues. Generally, combo systems are sized appropriately for the pump/filter flow rate match.

I would go with a 1.5hp since we plan to go with a bigger pool one day.
A bigger pool does not necessarily mean a larger pump. I ran a 20k IG pool with a 1/2 HP pump on low speed for many years before getting my current pump.

Also, you should NEVER size a pump by HP alone. HP only has a very loose relationship with pump power.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.