Mosquitos swarming over steps

GeorgiaPoolOwner

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
Canton, GA
In 3 years of following TFP, never had any issues. However, my I've noticed a ton of mosquitos (it seems more every day) swarming over my pool, and I'm not sure why. My water is balanced.

SWCG turned off due to winter.

Chlorine is 5. CYA is 30. PH is 7.4. Alkalinity is 80. No CC. Not sure what to do here.

I did add citric acid to clean the steps last weekend which had stained due to my wife letting pool store close it last fall (which used copper algaecide). Is this the cause of the problem?

I am not sure but that sure is a coincidence. Hummmmmm try pushing your FC up to just under SLAM/shock level for you CYA as seen here:
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Do this overnight so it can really work on your water. With you being just under SLAM level you will still be able to swim and enjoy the pool the next day. Use liquid chlorine/bleach to push the FC up.

You could also fog the area with some spray to see if you can find where they are hatching from. Is there another area of standing water around you?

I have had great luck with these:

https://www.amazon.com/OFF-635524-Powerpad-Lamp/dp/B000BQK4YA/ref=pd_sim_86_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000BQK4YA&pd_rd_r=B208P5612K4Q3EXVBH9S&pd_rd_w=pN8kv&pd_rd_wg=BG2qY&psc=1&refRID=B208P5612K4Q3EXVBH9S

It is almost like there is a dome around the area you put it in.

Kim:kim:

I can't figure it out either. They are only swarming over the steps, which is why I thought maybe the crushed vitamin c tablets were part of the problem.

I am going to raise it to shock level over the weekend and see what happens. It's too cold to swim right now anyway. Weather is great for Feb, but water temp is in the low 60's.

Follow up:

No mosquitos, and no problem with the water balance. I called my pest control guy over. He said they were a type of gnat. They breed near and hatch under dead leaves. They are flying over the water because they are attracted to it for drinking, not realizing that it is killing them.

No good way of getting rid of them though, except letting their life cycle play out or hoping for another freeze.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.