Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting closer to opening time

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting closer to opening time

I'm so ready to stop looking at the cover and see a pool! We have had LOTS and LOTS of rain and LOTs more coming over the weekend. I'm pumping the water off my cover into the pool, (about 8 inches) to save my well when I do open. I put a hair net over the bottom of the pump, and three tube socks over the end of the hose and pumping as I type. I did look at the water in the pool when I pulled the tarp back to put hose in there, and it is crystal clear. I realize that I might get a little brown water in there, but I think it will be worth it. I will have to Slam when opening and vacuum anyway. I sure hope this works!!!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, Jandy Proflo 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting closer to opening time

I did look at the water in the pool when I pulled the tarp back to put hose in there, and it is crystal clear.
    That's a good start!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Note to self.........don't use a hairnet on pump! It sucked part of in and I had to take it apart to clean it out. It's fine now........
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, Jandy Proflo 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kywildcats View Post
    I'm so ready to stop looking at the cover and see a pool! We have had LOTS and LOTS of rain and LOTs more coming over the weekend. I'm pumping the water off my cover into the pool, (about 8 inches) to save my well when I do open. I put a hair net over the bottom of the pump, and three tube socks over the end of the hose and pumping as I type. I did look at the water in the pool when I pulled the tarp back to put hose in there, and it is crystal clear. I realize that I might get a little brown water in there, but I think it will be worth it. I will have to Slam when opening and vacuum anyway. I sure hope this works!!!
    I have to ask, what kind of cover are you using to keep the pool crystal clear? I have tried a couple and this year I decided to just keep it open as I always have to drain it anyway it is so nasty when I take the cover off.
    7600 Gallons
    AB
    Cartridge filter
    2 speed
    installed 5/2016

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm using a 30x40 Solid Pool cover, not a safety cover. Green on the top side and black on the water side. It has the water bag loops on it but I just bypass them and lay the bags on the cover (its easier). This was it's third winter, and from what I can see I will get a fourth year out of it. Hope that helps!!
    Mark

6. Back To Top    #6

This rain in Kentucky is nuts. My water is still clear with a mesh safety cover over it though, took 8" of water out the pool the other day to get it down to a reasonable level. Ready to get this thing open as well
    14x28 unheated in-ground vinyl pool, chlorine, 3'/6' about 13k gallons. K-2006 test kit.
    Hayward single speed pump & sand filter. Merlin mesh winter cover. Dolphin Deluxe 4 robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Happened to see fellow Kentuckians so I thought I'd pick y'alls brains first. For the last few years I've been ordering about 20 cases of 6 - 128oz - 6% KIK bleach from a local janitorial supply house since I can have it delivered off the 18 wheeler where I work. It usually does the job. Some years I have a couple cases left over and other years I use all and have to buy more. I'm attempting to get a jump start this year in April so that I don't have to slam so hard. I've always paid $15.50/case so $2.58 per jug. This year he's quoted me $16.42 so technically Walmart is cheaper this year. I've been doing some googling and found that the Dollar Tree's brand is also KIK brand, based off of the MSDS sheet I found online. So theirs is 128oz jug of "5.8-6%" for $1 a jug! I'm going to go talk to the local Dollar Tree manager and see if I could get that many cases delivered, even if I had to have it delivered to their store. I just wondered where y'all got your bleach from and how? The first couple years I bought 4-6 jugs each trip to town and that got OLD quick so I like to order in bulk.
    *33ft Round AG (est. 29K gal)
    *Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1HP Sand Filter
    *City Water
    *Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I have always bought the Great Value brand at Walmart. I didn't think about checking the dollar stores. I am going to check them out to see what they have. Thanks
    40,000 Gallon salt water, Vinyl, Sand Filter, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, 2016 Install, Taylor Test kit, Dolphin robotic cleaner.