Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Getting High?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Getting High?

Ready to start taking my pool seriously again for the season here in FL, I tested today and here are my results:

FC - 1
    PH - 8++
    TA - 120
    CYA - 75

I know that when I add acid to lower the pH it will lower the TA so I am not too concerned about that...but the CYA is on the rise maybe as high as 80ppm, not a good way to start the season so I am thinking time for a partial water change? Maybe there was not enough sun this winter to consume enough CYA? We use Trichlor tablets in a chlorinator, so the CYA:Chlorine ratio is out of order.

Suggestions?
    15,000 Gallon Heated Diamond Brite Plaster Pool
    200 Gallon Hot Springs Jetsetter Spa
    Outdoors Partial Tree Shaded Lanai
    Taylor K2006 Test + SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Getting High?

Discontinue using trichlor tablets.

Use only liquid chlorine except when you will be away for a few days.

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Clorine is what oxidizes cya, slowly. If your gonna use triclor you better drain and refill.

Use bleach, be happy.
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

4. Back To Top    #4

Your signature only shows a 200 gallon hot tub. So is that what you are testing?
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    Marty

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect View Post
    Ready to start taking my pool seriously again for the season here in FL, I tested today and here are my results:

FC - 1
    PH - 8++
    TA - 120
    CYA - 75

I know that when I add acid to lower the pH it will lower the TA so I am not too concerned about that...but the CYA is on the rise maybe as high as 80ppm, not a good way to start the season so I am thinking time for a partial water change? Maybe there was not enough sun this winter to consume enough CYA? We use Trichlor tablets in a chlorinator, so the CYA:Chlorine ratio is out of order.

Suggestions?
    I'd be much more concerned about that very low FC first.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, ya the chlorine is pretty self explanatory.

No I am testing my pool of unknown size and unknown construction material.

7. Back To Top    #7

Unknown size or construction material? You can estimate the size, at least get in the ball park, with PoolMath. Then when you add acid, you can narrow it down a lot.
    Construction material? Only really three, vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass. Some oddities, but they are rare.

Can you add at least something about the pool to your signature? Right now, when I read your post, I assume we are talking about your 200 gallon, most likely fiberglass, spa.

Thanks
    Marty

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Well, ya the chlorine is pretty self explanatory. .....
    You would think so, but not always.

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I know, I just have not gotten around to collecting all the measurements yet.

I just had the pool resurfaced with DiamondBrite does that help determine material?

Just to clarify, my original post clearly stated that I am working on my POOL I used the four lettered word "pool" which means a body of water larger than a hot tub.

Ready to start taking my pool seriously again...

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

It's ok, we read a lot of people's posts here and it does get easy to get mixed up, that's why people are pretty picky about test results format and signatures. They just want to be giving out the best info.
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

11. Back To Top    #11

DiamondBrite is plaster.
    Marty

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Ready to start taking my pool seriously again for the season here in FL, ........
    Please update your signature to reflect that you also have a pool.

Dom - TFP Guide

13. Back To Top    #13

DiamondBrite = Plaster, great now that gives me something to work with so I can balance the pool.

14. Back To Top    #14

I would think with 62 posts on this forum you would know how willing to help members are. But giving meaningful accurate advice requires some knowledge of what they are being asked about, such as an estimated pool size and type. How can you make any chemical additions without having an inkling of pool size? Even pool store chemicals list treatment amounts per pool volume on the packaging. I know this isn't a constructive post per say, but I just can't stand seeing people respond like this when all anyone is trying to do is help you.
    18 x 36 In ground vinyl pool 8' deep end
    Hayward EC65 DE Filter
    Aquacal SQ225