Gunite Pool Renovation - What additional questions to ask from bid?

RichTJ99

Gold Supporter
Sep 16, 2016
Katonah NY
Hi,

I am nearing the point of no return on my 1984 pool. It was painted a few years ago & is ready to be redone (this year or next year at the latest). I prefer to do this prior to it being an emergency or the pool being shutdown for the season.

I have a few proposals - this is one is highly recommended.

PROPOSAL:

New Tile Installation (Labor Only)
* Pool & Spa will be completely drained.
* All existing tile will be removed from pool & spa and discarded off site.
* Existing setting bed will be cleaned and prepared for new tile installation.
* New tile will be installed on existing pool waterline & 6" on Spa waterline.
* New tile will be installed with grout joints.
* Existing tile in skimmer throat will also be replaced.
* Tile Material is NOT included; it is a separate cost.
New Plaster Installation
* Once pool & spa has been drained, pool & spa will be prepared for new plaster installation.
* Existing plaster will be ground down and chiseled out around all existing drains, returns, and lights.
* Pool & spa will then be washed and rinsed.
* Entire pool & spa surface will be covered with a multi-coat bonding agent.
* New Plaster finish will be applied after bonding agent has been allowed to dry.
* New Plaster will be regular white plaster or diamond brite plaster or river rock.
Option #1: Regular White Plaster
Option #2: Diamond Brite Plaster
Option #3: River Rock Plaster
New Deck-O-Seal Installation
* All New Deck-o-Seal will be installed behind coping. Deck-o-Seal is available in white, tan, or grey.

My Questions:

1. The proposal doesn’t include a tile allowance.
    1. What would you typically budget for tile?
    2. Is pool tile any different than ‘regular’ tile?
  2. The spa currently has tile on all interior sides
    1. Does your proposal only include tile on the top 6” ?
  3. Can you do a pressure test on the plumbing?
    1. Cost?
  4. I believe we have a ‘slight’ leak with the spa.
    1. When spa is running for an hour or more the level drops a few inches.
    2. What types of costs would that be for repairing?
  5. Does your price include refilling the pool?
  6. Do you handle the initial chemical setup to ensure the plaster cures properly?
  7. What type of warranty do you offer?
  8. How long would it take to do my pool?
  9. The attached photo – I would like to take down part of the wall to enable a staircase into the hot tub area.
    1. What would that cost?

Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

• Pool (Large).jpg
    Pool (Large).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 107
Looks like you have it covered. Nice looking pool you have there already. It will only get better with the work you are going to have done to it!

One thing that sticks out to me is the spa wall...........take it down to make a staircase? I see the red line but don't really understand what you are thinking.

Kim:kim:

Kim,

Thanks! So right now to get into the spa you step into it but it is a fairly big drop - not easy for elderly (my parents have a hard time when they visit). They are able to get into the pool using the steps.

So I would like to move the wall - make the hot tub slightly larger & following the same step level as the main pool in the hot tub.

If the wall shifted to the left on both angles we could include the stairs - as long as we are redoing the gunite anyway.

Thanks,
Rich

Looks like you have it covered. Nice looking pool you have there already. It will only get better with the work you are going to have done to it!

One thing that sticks out to me is the spa wall...........take it down to make a staircase? I see the red line but don't really understand what you are thinking.

We had this done a few years ago with the addition of sandblasting down to gunite. We have an early-70's pool and we were losing lots of plaster by the time we refinished (complicated explanation as to why) and felt the extra $1,000 was worth it to achieve the best finish and ensure the integrity of the gunite (as good as the day it was applied, by the way).

Ahhhhhh I "see" now! I like you plan for the steps INSIDE the spa! IF your pool builders says a price that makes you *blink* too hard you might ask him about just a small step inside the spa as a compromise.

I will take a couple
What would you typically budget for tile?
Is pool tile any different than ‘regular’ tile?
I believe you need to use stone, glass or porcelain tile. Some ceramics can crack. I'm not 100%. I would budget $5/sq ft.

Does your price include refilling the pool?
Probably not. For most people (not on wells, not under restrictions) this isn't a big deal, probably ~$50. If you really want to save a dime or two, sometimes the water company will waive the sewage fee.
Do you handle the initial chemical setup to ensure the plaster cures properly?
"Thank you for the plaster and for turning the hose on. It looks great, thanks. Have a good day" Nobody touches my pool (chemistry)

How long would it take to do my pool?
Looking at my notes it took a day.

I'll add one more thing to consider. The guys who did mine took 1/4 pieces of tile and lined the edge of the steps. It looks really good and I would have never thought to ask for it. It wouldn't cost very much at all to add, just a thought.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.