Looking for input on Quartz vs plaster or anything else

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
Wife has super tender feet so can't do pebble..Pool company suggested quartz?
Thoughts Ideas?
Its a 16x30 kidney shaped pool that stays in the shade 60% of the day so gets a lot of tree junk causing algrea..

I say wait until it warms up so your wife can walk on different plaster types to see what her feet like. Plain plaster might be the way to go for her.

Bad tree! Putting all of that junk in the pool. I am guessing you have a hard time keeping ahead of the junk so it stays in the pool and uses up your FC. If your FC stays high enough through out the day you should not get algae even with tree junk in it.

Does the tree junk float for a while before it sinks? Have you tried anything to help your skimmer work better? I have a couple of ideas if you have not.

Kim:kim:

I am open to ideas..I also got my CYA up to 90 replying on JUNK test strips before I bought the TFP kit..So when I got algea it took 11 gallons of clorine to kill it on my 18000 gallon pool �� Won't make that mistake again!

Quartz and plaster are smooth. Pebble Tec’s smoothest line is Pebble Fina I believe. Primo price but pretty smooth from what I heard people say, but not plaster/quartz smooth.

Here are some ideas. Starting with very low tec to high tech. Look them over and see what you think would work and fit your wallet:

Amazon.com : PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Garden Outdoor

adding my .02

I have a PoolSkim that I install in the fall in the shallow end and it works well. I have trees that have grown up over the years and this helps catch the debris before it sinks. If Only I emptied it daily when it gets windy.

I would go with an epoxy pool paint that is sprayed on. It will give you a fiberglass-type feeling and will be much smoother than even plaster. It will also cost a lot less.

The many posts to this forum concerning painting a pool has us not recommending that process. It is not a long lasting solution typically resulting in peeling and degradation within a couple years.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WHAT?? This is the first time I have heard this one :( I know it got cold but so do the Northern states and this did not happen to them. Do you have any pics to share? Guess you have to re-plaster sooner than you were thinking.

dont tell me that. I have been staying low all winter also and have been stressing over it. How old is the plaster?

Jim - Step away from the ledge. Her pool is older and close to needing a new plaster job already. You'll be fine. :D

I'll be curious to see the pictures though.

IMG_20180305_074535497.jpg

I had them bring me Pebble Tec samples today think it's too rough for my wife she has very sensitive feet.. trying to post a better picture but it's not letting me

That's about where I had dropped to water down to.

Final question is quartz worth an extra two or three thousand dollars over plain plaster?

Attachments

• IMG_20180305_074525280_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20180305_074525280_BURST001.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 142
OH MY :( That is cracked for sure.

Any idea how old that plaster is? This is the first time I have seen this. I am hoping we can learn from it to help keep it from happening to you or anyone else in the future. Can you peel it up where it looks loose?

As for if the Q is worth 2 or 3 K over the other.............I really don't know. I can think of a lot of things I could use 2 or 3 K for so.........

To me that is a sign that water was still getting back behind the plaster or was retained. Then freezing it and cracking it causing it to not only crack but pop as seem along the bottom crack. But I have no experience in this area and haven’t seen it before. Hopefully some others can provide insight with that good picture.

I am getting 3 quotes, of the samples I have seen I like the look and feel of quartz..Pebble would probably last longer but my wife thinks our normal concrete driveway hurts her feet :)
Interesting one company said I have major damage and it's an extra 5K but 2 other guys said possible but they didn't see anything to point to it :) and they are both pool builders so probably know.
Waiting on 2 more quotes and hoping to get on the schedule and get it ready to swim :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.