Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input on Quartz vs plaster or anything else

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for input on Quartz vs plaster or anything else

Wife has super tender feet so can't do pebble..Pool company suggested quartz?
    Thoughts Ideas?
    Its a 16x30 kidney shaped pool that stays in the shade 60% of the day so gets a lot of tree junk causing algrea..

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking for input on Quartz vs plaster or anything else

I say wait until it warms up so your wife can walk on different plaster types to see what her feet like. Plain plaster might be the way to go for her.

Bad tree! Putting all of that junk in the pool. I am guessing you have a hard time keeping ahead of the junk so it stays in the pool and uses up your FC. If your FC stays high enough through out the day you should not get algae even with tree junk in it.

Does the tree junk float for a while before it sinks? Have you tried anything to help your skimmer work better? I have a couple of ideas if you have not.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I am open to ideas..I also got my CYA up to 90 replying on JUNK test strips before I bought the TFP kit..So when I got algea it took 11 gallons of clorine to kill it on my 18000 gallon pool �� Won't make that mistake again!

4. Back To Top    #4

Here are some ideas. Starting with very low tec to high tech. Look them over and see what you think would work and fit your wallet:

Skim It - Pool Skimmer Accessories - In The Swim

Amazon.com : PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Garden Outdoor

https://www.skim-a-round.com/?gclid=...SAAEgLKgvD_BwE

I would LOVE to hear your feed back if you pick any of them. Why did you pick it? When you get it how does it work?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quartz and plaster are smooth. Pebble Tecís smoothest line is Pebble Fina I believe. Primo price but pretty smooth from what I heard people say, but not plaster/quartz smooth.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

We did the mini pebble and the plasterers hand troweled it very smooth.
    Hi, starting our build 10/10/17 45'x24.5' ~20K gallon, IG Pool (3'9"x4'9"x5'9") with 10x8.5 sun shelf w/ 2 bubblers and a 5G led spa light ,30'x18" raised beam w/ 3 stone scuppers, Plaster/Stonescapes mini pebble white (zanzibar), 3hp pentair intelliflow VSF, 2hp Superflo for water features, IC40 SWG, 420 cartridge filter, TF-100, pool math, Pentair 820 robot for the cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Here are some ideas. Starting with very low tec to high tech. Look them over and see what you think would work and fit your wallet:

Amazon.com : PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Garden Outdoor

Kim

adding my .02

I have a PoolSkim that I install in the fall in the shallow end and it works well. I have trees that have grown up over the years and this helps catch the debris before it sinks. If Only I emptied it daily when it gets windy.
    Pool IG 17,000 gallon (33 x 16) Spa IG 700 gallon - under renovation
    Sta-Rite IntelliPro VS 3050, Pentair Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC40, Pentair FNS Plus 60, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G Color LED, Polaris 360, Lars Lx400 NatGas heater, Fafco Solar panels

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I would go with an epoxy pool paint that is sprayed on. It will give you a fiberglass-type feeling and will be much smoother than even plaster. It will also cost a lot less.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dpost94 View Post
    I would go with an epoxy pool paint that is sprayed on. It will give you a fiberglass-type feeling and will be much smoother than even plaster. It will also cost a lot less.
    The many posts to this forum concerning painting a pool has us not recommending that process. It is not a long lasting solution typically resulting in peeling and degradation within a couple years.

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

My company uses a product called AquaGuard 5000 that comes with a 10 or 15 year product warranty depending on how thick it is applied.

11. Back To Top    #11

My plaster has cracks, I think it froze since the cracks are where I had dropped the water level to.. About 1' below tile . We had a lot of cold weather in Atlanta this winter.

12. Back To Top    #12

WHAT?? This is the first time I have heard this one I know it got cold but so do the Northern states and this did not happen to them. Do you have any pics to share? Guess you have to re-plaster sooner than you were thinking.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by markayash View Post
    My plaster has cracks, I think it froze since the cracks are where I had dropped the water level to.. About 1' below tile . We had a lot of cold weather in Atlanta this winter.
    dont tell me that. I have been staying low all winter also and have been stressing over it. How old is the plaster?
    TFP - Come for advice, stay for the education, leave with knowledge -
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. 20,000 gallons. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom Disney Mickey markers. pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED's. ET 4/SL. tf-100/ salt kit

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    dont tell me that. I have been staying low all winter also and have been stressing over it. How old is the plaster?
    Jim - Step away from the ledge. Her pool is older and close to needing a new plaster job already. You'll be fine.

I'll be curious to see the pictures though.
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover

15. Back To Top    #15

IMG_20180305_074535497.jpg

I had them bring me Pebble Tec samples today think it's too rough for my wife she has very sensitive feet.. trying to post a better picture but it's not letting me

That's about where I had dropped to water down to.

Final question is quartz worth an extra two or three thousand dollars over plain plaster?
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Jim - Step away from the ledge. Her pool is older and close to needing a new plaster job already. You'll be fine.

I'll be curious to see the pictures though.
    lol i thought it was new. my bad! lol
    TFP - Come for advice, stay for the education, leave with knowledge -
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. 20,000 gallons. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom Disney Mickey markers. pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED's. ET 4/SL. tf-100/ salt kit

17. Back To Top    #17

OH MY That is cracked for sure.

Any idea how old that plaster is? This is the first time I have seen this. I am hoping we can learn from it to help keep it from happening to you or anyone else in the future. Can you peel it up where it looks loose?

As for if the Q is worth 2 or 3 K over the other.............I really don't know. I can think of a lot of things I could use 2 or 3 K for so.........

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

It's 8 years old.. I was getting water between coping and the deck which was pushing the tiles out. I fixed that last summer when I had sundeck redo the deck.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

To me that is a sign that water was still getting back behind the plaster or was retained. Then freezing it and cracking it causing it to not only crack but pop as seem along the bottom crack. But I have no experience in this area and havenít seen it before. Hopefully some others can provide insight with that good picture.

20. Back To Top    #20

I am getting 3 quotes, of the samples I have seen I like the look and feel of quartz..Pebble would probably last longer but my wife thinks our normal concrete driveway hurts her feet
    Interesting one company said I have major damage and it's an extra 5K but 2 other guys said possible but they didn't see anything to point to it and they are both pool builders so probably know.
    Waiting on 2 more quotes and hoping to get on the schedule and get it ready to swim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast