Aqua Rite with low speed pump?

GregH

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2009
Dripping Springs, TX
I have an Aqua Rite salt system with a 2 speed pump, and it’s wired to come on only with the high speed pump. This seems counter-productive, defeating the cost savings of the low speed by having to run high speed to produce the FC. Is this right, or can I rewire it to run the salt system on low speed?

GregH said:
I have an Aqua Rite salt system with a 2 speed pump, and it’s wired to come on only with the high speed pump. This seems counter-productive, defeating the cost savings of the low speed by having to run high speed to produce the FC. Is this right, or can I rewire it to run the salt system on low speed?
You can try. The thing you need to verify is if the low speed moves enough water to trip the flow switch.

Yep, what Pool Clown said. The cell needs a certain minimum flow rate to work correctly. Most two speed pumps move enough water to keep the cell happy, but not all do. The SWG has a flow sensor that will turn it off if the flow rate is too low. As long as the flow sensor is detecting sufficient flow, you should be alright. Occasionally, they will only work on low speed when the filter is clean, and stop working as the filter gets dirty, but that is rare. Usually they either work or don't work.

GregH

I spoke to AquaRite since I own one of their "TurboCell" SWGs a few months back with the same question. They told me the AquaRite cells can work fine at a flow rate as low as 11 GPM which I guess is when the flow valve will trip. Just remember to adjust your percentage chlorine generation down a bit for longer filter times.

I was initially told by a local pool store that SWGs don't work well with low-flow/variable speed pumps. But I decided to talk directly to the experts and they strongly disagreed with that philosophy. So don't always take advice from "pool stores" unless you can back it up with a valid source. Most of the folks on TFP know they stuff!

Marc

Thanks everyone. By end of day yesterday I was down to 1 ppm FC so I ran my pump on low speed for 12 hours overnight at 100%, and tested this morning at 6ppm. Seems to have no problem generating FC on low speed! Changed my program to run a couple hours in the afternoon and 10 hours at night at 70%. I was using test strips before finding this forum a few days ago and all my numbers are off goal...though with the pool calculator and a better test kit I'm dialing things in closer already.

Greg. Like I said, when you run your pool for longer periods, often times you can cut back on your chlorine generation. I find that if you keep your conditioner at the appropriate level (60-80 ppm) that you can keep adequate levels of FC with less than 50% on your chlorinator at low speeds. If you can generate enough FC at a reduced load, you can often times extend the life of your salt cell by not working it so hard.

Glad you found us and hope we make servicing your pool a bit easier.

Thanks Marc! My CYA is one of the numbers that are off (in this case low at 42). From what you've said, and from what I've read in the pool school -- I'll back off the SWG % as I get my CYA up and my TA down to extend the life of the cell. I got my pH down to 7.2 this morning, and have been aerating it all day with bubblers and fountain. pH is up to 7.5 this afternoon, but TA is holding firm at 130 -- I'll have to re-read that part of the pool school and go another round on that battle tomorrow.

But making progress, which is always good. Knowledge is the key to success. Luck happens, but rarely is sustained.

I’ve been running my SWG off the low speed pump since early August, and I thought I’d post an update for anyone interested. I’ve been running the low speed pump about 6 hours a night and have been able to turn down the SWG % output to 10-20% while easily maintaining FC in the 3-5 ppm range. I only run the HS pump about 2 hours a day to skim/vacuum the leaves in the pool. Water has been clean and clear, chemistry has stayed in balance per pool school recommendations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good question, but I really don’t know how much I’m saving. Electric bill is high, but I have a family of 6 and all electric everything including heat pump and hot water heater. The pool is one year old last month, so I won’t have cost comparison data until this summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.