runoff rain water flushes garden soil into pool

seraph

Apr 19, 2017
Southlake
Hello everyone,

My in-ground pool got very dirty after every heavy rain lasting for 2+ hours. I observed carefully last time, finally I noticed the garden dirt is flushed by rain water right into the pool.

the major problem is that nearby garden is almost in same level as the pool deck and the waterstop is just 2 inches above the ground.
To make it worse, the garden area close to the pool is in the low end so all water(including water from neighbor's lawn) tends to converge here then run into the pool water.

Any advise is much appreciated.

You may need to have a landscaper with experience in drainage work look at it. You might need to add a French drain and some buried drainage pipe in that area to move the water away from the pool.

FYI you need to copy the "BBCode" embed link from Photobucket not the "HTML" version for the picture to show on this forum.

thanks. I've been trying all options, now it works!

- - - Updated - - -

You may need to have a landscaper with experience in drainage work look at it. You might need to add a French drain and some buried drainage pipe in that area to move the water away from the pool.

Thanks, Matt. I discovered a drainage outlet in curb. Is there any way to locate the pipe underground so that I can reuse it a little bit?

I see the picture now.

Ok, wow, yeah that water stop is going to do nothing for you. Honestly speaking, there should have been a waterproof c-block wall built at the edge of the pool to act as a retaining wall for that raised landscape area. You might be able to do something with a French drain in that area, but too much runoff and you’ll still get overflow. The only permanent solution is a proper retaining wall.

Did you have pool installed ? If so, how long ago & what does the elevations/drainage part of the contract state?

If not, you need to have some quality drainage contractors ( preferably from neighbors or friends that can refer w confidence), and provide you w some options.

You'll need to take into acct all the possible rain water sources that converge on your plot & how it's feeding into your pool. Nothing is more aggravating than problems like this, if you are receiving runoff from nbor, and they fertilize their yard, organically to their f-beds and your pool water is the recipient, you can really have your pool chemistries changed for the negative w Nitrogen and similar. Whatever you do, make sure it's a permanent and not a temporary solution. You don't want to be worrying about this every time it rains, esp if you're traveling.

Good luck, tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.