Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Multiport Valve - how far do I go

1. Back To Top    #1

New Multiport Valve - how far do I go

So hopefully a quick question for someone who has gone through this.

History
    1. Purchased a house with a pool 4 months ago, no idea how old the filter is, but it is a Waterco S600. It doesn't leak (that I can see around the actual filter) and filters well, although I will likely replace sand with glass over the winter.
    2. Recently the MPV handle snapped, but in a way that I cannot simply replace the handle.

Options
    1. I can purchase a MPV top assembly for $105, this is everything down to the spider gasket, but not including the spider Gasket.
    2. Given I am reading that a lot of people need to replace the spider gasket, I thought it might be beneficial to do this also, but this will cost an additional $55 (Total $160)
    3. For $180, I can then get a complete new MPV, but this does not come with an O-ring (it's the screw on type). (Total cost of new MPV $180)
    4. If I add the o-ring ($30) the job is now $210 for a total MPV replacement.

So, is it a $105 job or is it a $210 job.

In your experience, would I be better served to simply commit to the full job now, or should I simply stick with the top assembly, or anything in between.

Note, I haven't actually taken the top assembly apart to look at the conditions of the spider gasket as I don't really know what to look for. I can do this if this will help someone provide me direction.

As always, thanks for helping a newbie pool owner out.
    Long hot dry summers, mild wet winters (5 hours direct sun / day)
    36,000 L / 9,500 gallons - In-ground tiled salt water pool - Lap Pool format
    0.26 cubit meter / 9.1 cubic foot sand filter (medium is unknown)
    Astral Pool Varon Series Salt Chlorinator / Onga Pumps 1.5hp
    Solar Blanket (unknown size) / dedicated plumping loop / Waterco 0.86Kw pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Multiport Valve - how far do I go

Easier for me to say as it's not my money, but given the fact that the age and overall condition of the MPV is unknown from the previous owner, I would start fresh with a new assembly. In time, other things may go wrong, so it would be reassuring to know that the MPV is new and should not be the cause of any problems later for quite some time.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I concur with Mr. Splash. Do it once and be done. All that rubber in there is the same age.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

That is the justification I needed, will order a new unit.

Thanks Gents
    Long hot dry summers, mild wet winters (5 hours direct sun / day)
    36,000 L / 9,500 gallons - In-ground tiled salt water pool - Lap Pool format
    0.26 cubit meter / 9.1 cubic foot sand filter (medium is unknown)
    Astral Pool Varon Series Salt Chlorinator / Onga Pumps 1.5hp
    Solar Blanket (unknown size) / dedicated plumping loop / Waterco 0.86Kw pump.