Yet another new pool owner... Uh, oh - no suction??!

Re: Yet another new pool owner...

A few observations for a new owner from someone that's been here for a few months....

First, if the search on this site doesn't give you what you're looking for (i.e. words too short, etc), remember google is your friend. Try this string in the google search box:
site:troublefreepools.com cya low

Next, I thought the bleach at Costco seemed like a good deal so I picked some up and later realized it's ~1/3 the concentration of the stuff I get at my corner hardware store. After some calculations, it turns out the stuff at Costco was not much better value than the stuff at the hardware store. i.e. the amount of chlorination per $ was basically the same.

Finally, since you mentioned purchasing a SWG, I'd like to offer my thoughts. I have one and when I had it installed it was on a pool at a new house and I had no prior pool experience. The sales pitch was presented as if I would never have to add chemicals to the pool. Turns out there are a lot of other chemicals that are required as part of normal pool maintenance, with or without a SWG, and the only chemical I don't have to "add" is chlorine (although I'm having to tweak the SWG output level several times a year). I own my ignorance for not having researched everything first (sounds like you are miles ahead of where I was when I started out, so congrats on that :goodjob: ). Having said that, considering a) the initial cost of the unit ($700 installed); b) the operation costs (electrical power for the unit itself and extended pump run time); c) the time required for the weekly cleaning of the element and; d) the fact that I will have to spend $400 to replace the element every 2-3 years, the only advantage I can see with a SWG is the convenience of not having to manually add chlorine every day. Since I am (err...should be) testing every day, it would only be another minute or two to pour some chlorine in.

If I was to do it over again, I would probably still go with a SWG just because I'm that lazy. :wink: I just wish I had known all the info when I made my initial decision.

Good post, Dave,

Although I don't own one, I am still a big fan of SWG's.

That said, they are not magic bullets, either. Your post abley points out some "reminders" for anyone considering them.

I will probably own one soon but will have my eyes wide open thanks to folks like you sharing your experiences.

duraleigh said:
Good post, Dave,

Although I don't own one, I am still a big fan of SWG's.

That said, they are not magic bullets, either. Your post abley points out some "reminders" for anyone considering them.

I will probably own one soon but will have my eyes wide open thanks to folks like you sharing your experiences.
I forgot to mention that I like "gadgets" and it's pretty cool to watch the chlorine being extracted from the salt in the water as it flows by. Even if the "cool factor" doesn't offset all of the other drawbacks, I think it's worth something, anyway.

Yes there is DE specifically for pools. There are also alternate DE substitutes that can be used in a DE filter. Just about any pool store and some hardware stores will sell DE for pool filters. Most pool stores will also sell the DE substitutes. I use Fiber Clear in my DE filter and I am pleased with the results. It is much lighter weight and easier to haul around than the 14lb bag of DE!

Re: Yet another new pool owner... Where did my suction go?

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the insightful discussion of the SWCG. As I tell my kids, there are advantages and disadvantages to EVERYTHING.

So, now I'm in uh-oh territory! I had the pool service show me the ropes, as it were, so I learned how to vacuum, and did so successfully Friday night. I know we had suction on Saturday, as the kids are having fun helping to clean the skimmer basket. Sunday morning when I checked the skimmer, I noticed it was floating and there was absolutely no suction!

The returns seemed to be blowing strong, as I recall, and the pump basket was sloshing around with water hitting the top. I stopped the pump and cleaned out the basket, which had some debris in it. Started things up after filling the pump basket with water, and still the same results. This time, the returns were puffing. Tried a few more times, and tried the tip of running water directly into the skimmer hole to get the suction going. No dice. Then, I noticed a big leak under the pump itself. Swear that wasn't there before.

So, if you have a suction side leak, would that lead to absolutely no suction? I'm mystified that I have no suction, but do have water in the pump basket and some, albeit bubbly, water in my returns. When restarting the pump, it is hard to get prime...takes about a minute or two.

Amy, can you see air bubbles in the pump, while it's been running for a while? This is a good indication of a skimmer or suction leak.

The skimmer basket floated out of place, any chance stuff (or a pool toy) got sucked into the line? Does the skimmer wier (door) move freely up and down?

I would check the gasket on the pump lid for debris or pinched spots. The puddle under the pump had to come from somewhere, try looking beneath the motor to pump interface for a drip - also check where the pipe connects to the effluent port on the pump (the pipe that goes from the pump to the filter). Is the pump basket in correctly (a lot of baskets are only supposed to go in 1 way :!: )?

Sorry for all the questions :oops: , but without being there, all I have is a hypothosis as to what may have happened and your answers will help us define what's going on. Once we know what's wrong, we can help you get it fixed quickly :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.