Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater BTUs

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater BTUs

I am considering getting a gas pool heater. My pool is 20 x 40 and starts at 3.5 ft and goes to 8 ft. After 3:30 PM the pool starts to get shaded. How many BTUs will I need? Based on the calculators online, it looks like 150k. However, it seems low to me. Please let me know your thoughts.
    New construction- April 2016
    1st time inground pool owners. 20x40 oasis shaped vinyl liner. Gli gerano 28 mil liner. Sr smith typhoon slide. Pentair 5g color changing light.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heater BTUs

I would suggest 300,000 btu/hr to 400,000 btu/hr.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I would suggest a 400K unit. It's the best bang for your buck.
    Paul
    Gastek Pool & Gas Services If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. Gastek Google review,
    Check out some videos on my YouTube channel - Gastekservices on YouTube

4. Back To Top    #4

300K will do it but 400K will do it quicker (and for only a small uptick in cost).
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Another vote for 400K, I love my Raypak, heats my large pool about 2 degrees per hour.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    AGP, 30 foot, 21,000 gallons with these homemade islands
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater! (Model 406a - installed 2015)
    Pool installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

There shouldn't be a big difference in price between a 300K and a 400K unit. Heck my supplier doesn't even have the 300K units in stock. If a customer begs me I have to special order it.
    Paul
    Gastek Pool & Gas Services If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. Gastek Google review,
    Check out some videos on my YouTube channel - Gastekservices on YouTube

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you everyone!
    New construction- April 2016
    1st time inground pool owners. 20x40 oasis shaped vinyl liner. Gli gerano 28 mil liner. Sr smith typhoon slide. Pentair 5g color changing light.

8. Back To Top    #8

What did you decide to get?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

Hayward makes a 500k one now. Also, depends on your service line and how much it can handle. I know they had to swap out my meter when they installed my 400k BTU heater. They said they could’ve used a 250k if there were issues, but everything would’ve taken longer. 400k heats my spa up to temperature in under 30 minutes.

36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread